Branchcache RRS feed

• Question

• Can't trust the info on MS site re: Branchcache - so I need some clarification

for example Windows 7 is mentioned in deployment guide- obviously this is True but the document is NOT clear that ENTERPRISE or ULTIMATE version is required

Same with Windows Server 2008R2 - but obviously if I go out and buy Windows Server 2008 R2  I will find that I now need ENTERPRISE version. Are these OMISSIONS deliberate ?

Windows 2012 is mentioned - again WHAT version - can STANDARD be used or do we need DATACENTRE

UPDATES are NOT REALLY COVERED - so I need to clarify

Head Office - data is updated overnight

so next morning at Remote Site

User A - opens Excel File, makes some changes and saves the file

2 mins later users B at the main site opens the files

which version does he get ? - one from last night or the one that's just been updated at the remote site

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In your other thread I provided a link. And here is the content:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3a69855f-037a-479a-960c-c97fc87c1cd8/branchcache-clarification#3a69855f-037a-479a-960c-c97fc87c1cd8

Operating systems for BranchCache client computer functionality

• Windows® 8 Enterprise
    • Windows® 7 Enterprise
    • Windows® 7 Ultimate

Operating systems for BranchCache content server functionality

The Windows Server 2012 family of operating systems can be used as BranchCache content servers.

In addition, the Windows Server® 2008 R2 family of operating systems can be used as BranchCache content servers, with the following exceptions:

• BranchCache is not supported in Server Core installations of Windows Server® 2008 R2 Enterprise with Hyper-V.
    • BranchCache is not supported in Server Core installations of Windows Server® 2008 R2 Datacenter with Hyper-V.

Operating systems for BranchCache hosted cache server functionality

The Windows Server 2012 family of operating systems can be used as BranchCache hosted cache servers.

In addition, the following Windows Server® 2008 R2 operating systems can be used as BranchCache hosted cache servers:

• Windows Server® 2008 R2 Enterprise
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Hyper-V
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Server Core Installation
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Server Core Installation with Hyper-V
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-Based Systems
    • Windows Server® 2008 R2 Datacenter
    • Windows Server® 2008 R2 Datacenter with Hyper-V
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Server Core Installation with Hyper-V

And for the question you provided in the end of the thread, user B should get an update version which edited 2 mins ago. See:

BranchCache only retrieves data from a server when the client requests it and only caches read requests. --- Which means Write action will not be cached and it will be saved to the source file. See more at: BranchCache Dashsheet

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In your other thread I provided a link. And here is the content:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3a69855f-037a-479a-960c-c97fc87c1cd8/branchcache-clarification#3a69855f-037a-479a-960c-c97fc87c1cd8

Operating systems for BranchCache client computer functionality

• Windows® 8 Enterprise
    • Windows® 7 Enterprise
    • Windows® 7 Ultimate

Operating systems for BranchCache content server functionality

The Windows Server 2012 family of operating systems can be used as BranchCache content servers.

In addition, the Windows Server® 2008 R2 family of operating systems can be used as BranchCache content servers, with the following exceptions:

• BranchCache is not supported in Server Core installations of Windows Server® 2008 R2 Enterprise with Hyper-V.
    • BranchCache is not supported in Server Core installations of Windows Server® 2008 R2 Datacenter with Hyper-V.

Operating systems for BranchCache hosted cache server functionality

The Windows Server 2012 family of operating systems can be used as BranchCache hosted cache servers.

In addition, the following Windows Server® 2008 R2 operating systems can be used as BranchCache hosted cache servers:

• Windows Server® 2008 R2 Enterprise
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Hyper-V
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Server Core Installation
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Server Core Installation with Hyper-V
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-Based Systems
    • Windows Server® 2008 R2 Datacenter
    • Windows Server® 2008 R2 Datacenter with Hyper-V
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Server Core Installation with Hyper-V

And for the question you provided in the end of the thread, user B should get an update version which edited 2 mins ago. See:

BranchCache only retrieves data from a server when the client requests it and only caches read requests. --- Which means Write action will not be cached and it will be saved to the source file. See more at: BranchCache Dashsheet

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Windows 2012 FAMILY so that means Windows 2012 Foundations and Essentials can be used - Brilliant !

Ok, so it gets saved at the Main Site so that's good User B will get the latest updated file.

Does it NOT update the Cached version ?

So what happens if 'User C' comes along at the REMOTE site - will he (or She) now download the new updated version of the file from the main site?

Currently the main shared folder has 480,650 files

I'm hoping that:

Branchcache is intelligent enough to LOCK the Word / Excel file at both the Main & Remote site when opened by a user so if another user comes along they can only access as read-only

Secondly, if a file is updated at the Remote site and the updates propagate to the main site (as above) and and someone else wants its at the remote site later the software will check and download the LATEST updated file.

I know I need to give it try... now where did I leave my Tardis !

Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:56 PM