none
Steps to take to avoid publishing a duplicate article? RRS feed

• General discussion

• To my fellow TechNet Wiki article writers I ask, "What are the steps you take to avoid publishing a duplicate article?"

Even before I start writing an article which in my case involves taking screenshots and videos I search though TechNet Wiki and Bing to see if there isn't already something already available. Many a times I do find articles with similar titles however, the subject and point of focus is completely different from what I plan on writing hence I continue as planned, write and publish the article. And I add the link to the article I found to mine.

I am eager to learn from other writers how they go about avoiding writing duplicate articles.

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

Monday, January 4, 2016 1:51 AM

All replies

• I think I take steps similar to yours. When I have an idea for a Wiki, I first research the topic. I search all of Microsoft.com first. I find forum posts, Wiki's, Gallery contributions, and KB / MSDN / TechNet / library articles. I don't just search the Wiki. I collect relevant links, so I can later put them in "See Also" and "Other Resources" sections. Like you, I often find related articles, but usually they don't treat the subject like I want to. But if the subject is already covered, I update or improve the existing article, rather than create a duplicate. I will say I don't go by titles. I at least glance at the articles. After searching on Microsoft.com, I use Bing to see if there are third party resources I can use. That is why my articles can have a lot of links.

I will also add that a lot of times I test to make sure what I read elsewhere is true and I understand the concepts. I have actually found incomplete, and even incorrect information in some resources. But of course, it generally takes me weeks to finish an article. But then I also learn a lot in the process, which is why I like doing it.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Directory Services)

Monday, January 4, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Thanks for sharing Richard.

Daniel Christian (MCTS)

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:09 PM