Outlook 2016 cannot save message and attachement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I have a user that cannot save email . It will gave the error the operation failed the messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. that error appear when the user try to save an email at any location. If they try to save an attachment like a PDF or word document than it look like it safe but when you go to that location, there are nothing.

I have try the following:
    Use Outlook /safe
    Have the user logon to another terminal server
    Completely delete the local plus roaming profile
    Re-apply permission of folder redirection and roaming profile folders.
    That user still can't save while the other on the same server can

I have move that user to a different set of servers that still have Outlook 2010. the user can save.
    It's all the same roaming profile and folder redirection. I just can't figured it out.

Thank you

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hello, this solve my issues:

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/483

We do not allow .tmp file to be saved on the network so by changing that REG key it fixed the issues.
    I still don't understand why only that user needed that but it that can help someone else, great!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options

Value name: DisableRobustifiedUNC
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

• Marked as answer by fr4nk1985 Monday, December 18, 2017 1:55 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>that error appear when the user try to save an email at any location.

How does the user save the attachments? Saving to local folder or network location?

Has he made any changes to Office or Windows system before the issue occurred?

We can try logging his account on another user’s working machine to check if the same problem happens.

Besides, please collect the detailed build number of both Windows and Outlook 2016 so that we can do further research on this.

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 18, 2017 10:11 AM
  • Users are saving there file on the network.
    We have a GPO that set "Folders Redirection" so they don't save locally on the server.
    As I said, permission are correct on the folders as from the profile in question, I can save from any other program including any other Office product like Word and Excel but as soon as it's from Outlook it won't.
    The user logon to another server that use Outlook 2010 and that is working fine.
    On any of the new servers that are load balanced that error will happen. I have try all of them (3).
    All other users don't have that issue. as I said I have cleared that local user profile, roaming and even the folder redirection for the system to rebuild everything, still the same error. The user has the proper license in Office 365. I'm lost here, even PROCMON show nothing when that error happen.
    Office version : 16.0.8625.2139

Monday, December 18, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Hello, this solve my issues:

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/483

We do not allow .tmp file to be saved on the network so by changing that REG key it fixed the issues.
    I still don't understand why only that user needed that but it that can help someone else, great!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options

Value name: DisableRobustifiedUNC
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

• Marked as answer by fr4nk1985 Monday, December 18, 2017 1:55 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 1:55 PM