none
Error "The selection is too long and will be truncated microsoft to 255 characters" RRS feed

• Question

• I received this error when I try to assign budget cost resources to the project summary task. We have to follow 12 budgets resources and the descriptions are quiet long.

This error is in MSP 2010.

Monday, May 7, 2012 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Roland,

You said you have 12 Budget Resources with long descriptions, I would suggest that you give them short and logical names and add Description to a Custom field or Notes rather then having description itself define the name of a resource. As you have already noticed anything above 255 char is truncated, so, you have to reduce the character in names.

Sapna S

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:11 PM

All replies

• This is a limitation.

If the list goes above 255 characters this will keep on happening.

What you need to do is double click the task, a Task Information box will Open, Go to Resources Tab on that box and assign resources.

Everything works fine from there.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

• Proposed as answer by basza Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by basza Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:00 AM
    • Proposed as answer by basza Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by basza Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by basza Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:01 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Hi Roland,

You said you have 12 Budget Resources with long descriptions, I would suggest that you give them short and logical names and add Description to a Custom field or Notes rather then having description itself define the name of a resource. As you have already noticed anything above 255 char is truncated, so, you have to reduce the character in names.

Sapna S

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:11 PM
  • This is a limitation.

If the list goes above 255 characters this will keep on happening.

What you need to do is double click the task, a Task Information box will Open, Go to Resources Tab on that box and assign resources.

Everything works fine from there.

• Proposed as answer by cahi-win7 Friday, August 2, 2013 11:46 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2013 11:46 PM