Clipboard not working for any applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

Having a weird issue on a client's laptop, and is becoming a huge pain and taking too many man-hours. I have googled my fingers blue and ran through literally hundreds of forum posts trying to find some sort of solution, to no avail. It seems as though the Clipboard does not work as I cannot copy/paste in any application successfully except for Office applications that use their own clipboard, and even then I get an error. The error I get in Excel when I try to paste is "Cannot empty the clipboard" even though the Office clipboard is empty.

I am finding that this is an actual issue in the clipboard itself. I have copied the clipbrd.exe application from a Windows XP installation and installed it on my personal Windows 7 laptop, and the application works perfectly. I try to use it on her laptop and I get errors. I then installed a 3rd party clipboard viewer (Karen's Clipboard Viewer) on my Windows 7 laptop, and again it works perfectly. I installed it on hers and I get errors as soon as I try to even view the clipboard.

I have found several references online about people who ahve lost the clipboard functionality when using software such as Virtual PC and Remote Desktop. Although my client has XP Mode installed on this machine and occasionally uses Remote Desktop, I cannot say for certain if this issue arose from using those applications and she cannot recall when exactly the problem started.

This problem needs to be solved and I appreciate any leads I can get to get this resolved. Thanks in advance!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:54 AM

Answers

• Hi broken_halo,

If you have a program like GetRight or Flashget installed on your computer, you will have to go in and uncheck the option for “Monitor the clipboard”. Any other program that may try to use the Windows Clipboard could be causing the problem, so uninstall any third party software that you know uses the clipboard.

If the issue persists, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can check if this article helps: Fix: Virtual PC, clipboard stops working on Host PC

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue still exists, you can run System File Checker by referring to: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:33 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:26 AM

All replies

• I once had a Clipboard issue after uninstalling a certain package which unregistered ole32.dll (bizarrely)

The fix for me was to run regsvr32 ole32.dll

Hope this helps

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:26 PM
  • OK - I connected to her machine and copy/paste functionality worked perfectly without applying any fixes. She then told me that it will start to slow down, then stop working. I have read about this same thing happening all over the internet with the clipboard working intermittently.

If it happens to her again, I will try re-registering ole32.ddl, however, I don't think this is the case with this particular issue.

I will post back

Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:35 PM
  • I was right, the clipboard stopped working again, and registering ole32.dll didn't help. Any more suggestions please, or has anyone else had this issue?
    Friday, July 16, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Hi broken_halo,

If you have a program like GetRight or Flashget installed on your computer, you will have to go in and uncheck the option for “Monitor the clipboard”. Any other program that may try to use the Windows Clipboard could be causing the problem, so uninstall any third party software that you know uses the clipboard.

If the issue persists, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can check if this article helps: Fix: Virtual PC, clipboard stops working on Host PC

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue still exists, you can run System File Checker by referring to: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:33 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:26 AM