.net framework update downloading automatically , is it really needed ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We have a WSUS server and i have configured wsus for all security and critical update of win7, win8 and server 2008, 2008R2 servers. recently i have notified one thing, my server showing .net framework  path updates. is it really need to approve ? we are not using any softwares like .net or any scripting softwares. is it really need to approve these .net frame work updates ? is .net framework  a dependy of all windows OS ?

please guide ..

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 10:04 AM

Answers

• .net framework is used by applications, ranging from non-Microsoft applications (including websites), through to things such as PowerShell. So there is a likelihood that it will be used by some servers in you environment.

You can always test against a sub-set of machines, if you find it's not needed you can de-select it later on, and use the server cleanup wizard to removed the updates. 

If you find the answer of assistance please "Vote as Helpful"and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps others to find solutions for there issues, and recognises contributions made to the community :)

Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are these updates security updates? If yes, it is recommended to install these updates.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:11 AM
  • .net framework is used by applications, ranging from non-Microsoft applications (including websites), through to things such as PowerShell. So there is a likelihood that it will be used by some servers in you environment.

You can always test against a sub-set of machines, if you find it's not needed you can de-select it later on, and use the server cleanup wizard to removed the updates. 

If you find the answer of assistance please "Vote as Helpful"and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps others to find solutions for there issues, and recognises contributions made to the community :)

Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:37 AM