an encrypted connection to your mail server is not available RRS feed

• Question

• I tried the initial setup of outlook 2016 to connect office365 on windows 7 machine. We do not have any autodiscovery problem. But we do enable two way authentication on office 365. I followed this link https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-app-password-for-Office-365-3e7c860f-bda4-4441-a618-b53953ee1183 to set up the outlook on the desktop but I kept getting "an encrypted connection to your mail server is not available". Is it possible that the issue is caused by two way authentication to be enabled? Other than, everything is straightforward setup.  

Please advise! Thank you very mcuh!

• Moved by Perry-Pan Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please first make sure you have entered correct user name and App password.

According to my research, this error means Outlook's Auto Account Setup can't determine the correct settings to use. This is caused by incomplete or missing autodiscover records in DNS. As a result, you'll need the account up manually if you want to use encryption. Please check the details in this article to see if this is the case for you.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If the steps above won’t help, please try using Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer to test whether Exchange Autodiscover is working correctly:

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:30 AM
  • thank you for the reply. After running the test, I got this as below. How shall I troubleshoot this issue further. I believe that they have set autodiscovery on public dns. They do not have autodiscover to set in internal dns.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

According to my research, this error seems to be related with password and account. Please follow the steps in this link to delete existing app password and then re-generate a new password to test the result.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 1, 2018 7:35 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2018 6:36 AM
  • Just check if the information above is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, October 1, 2018 9:05 AM