First production implementation, looking for RRS feed

• Question

• To date my SharePoint experience has been in a hardware limited development environment, however within the next couple of months I'm performing my first installation at a customers site.  My user experience each day begins with a wait, whilst SharePoint wakes up from it's nightly doze, and then finally displays the page I requested.  The experience was the same during my immersive training course at a Microsoft approved training centre, and again hardware was somewhat limited.

I'm hoping this slow performance in the morning is simply due to a lack of power, however my first access to a properly spec'd system will be when I install it for the first time at my customers site. I'm just hoping the community might be able to give me some reassurance that performance will improve?

Thanks

Andy

SharePoint 2010 MCITP Soltec Computer Services Ltd
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:43 PM

Answers

• It normally takes about 30-45 seconds for a site to render the first time you hit it in the morning because a lot of cached information needs to be re-built.  For example all the dlls need to be JIT compiled because they have been cleared out overnight.  This timing is common even on systems that have adequate hardware.  IN many production environments automated scripts are set to kick off an hour or so before users hit the system in the morning to pre-load all or most of the major pages first thing in the morning.  Then when users access the system its already been cached and performance will be in the 1-3 second range for most pages.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Andy Ogden Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• It normally takes about 30-45 seconds for a site to render the first time you hit it in the morning because a lot of cached information needs to be re-built.  For example all the dlls need to be JIT compiled because they have been cleared out overnight.  This timing is common even on systems that have adequate hardware.  IN many production environments automated scripts are set to kick off an hour or so before users hit the system in the morning to pre-load all or most of the major pages first thing in the morning.  Then when users access the system its already been cached and performance will be in the 1-3 second range for most pages.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Andy Ogden Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Why don't you cast an eye over the hardware requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485.aspx

However, please consider that performance not only depends on hardware.

Regards,
    M

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Andy,

SharePoint recycles the IIS every night and the application woken up each morning when the first user logs in. In order to not have this impact on the first user for the day, manys admins schedule wakeup scripts for sometime in the morning (like 6:00 AM).

Here is an example of a wake up script:
    http://spwakeup.codeplex.com/

You can search for SharePoint wakeup scripts on bing or write one of your own and schedule it to run.

I beleive Microsoft is working on an IIS .Net application Warm Up module as well.

Good Luck!

I want to believe
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:02 PM
  • That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for, thanks for taking the time to reply.  It's one of those issues where the causes could be so wide ranging, I didn't know what to start looking for.

After a bit of research and testing, I can now start my installation without fear of reprisals each morning, lol

Thanks

Andy

SharePoint 2010 MCITP Soltec Computer Services Ltd
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:09 PM