VirtualStore not working? RRS feed

• Question

• If I use SteadyState (v2.5) to create a user with the profile located on another disk, a legacy application that worked fine w/profiles located on the 'C:' drive seems to break. For some reason, the VirtualStore folder is not created when the profile is not located on the 'systems' disk.

In other words, for a user whose profile is located on c:\users\john, after the application runs, the files for the application are located in c:\users\john\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows. This works out great since I do not have to give rights to the windows directory anymore (yeah!). But, when the user profile is created under d: (i.e.: d:\users\john2) and I log in as john2, the application does not create any files, it errors and upon exiting the application, there is no d:\users\john2\Local\VirtualStore directory. So, does the VirtualStore functionality not work w/profiles created by SteadyState that are not located on the system disk (CSmile ?

BTW, the app is a legacy training app written in Macromedia Director.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Oliver2A, I consider you have a decent understanding of how does Windows SteadyState work with "VirtualStore folder" under this situation. This can be a potential issue if we move the profile folder to another partition and restrict the access to C:\. I will report this to our product team and hope this can be improved in the next version. Thank you.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:54 AM