Word 2007 - Multilevel List RRS feed

• Question

• Back in October a forum question was asked regarding "Multilevel Lists" and several replies were made.  However, the situations identified were never corrected. Workarounds were kind of found.  Such as:  A new Multilevel List was created, named and save for a 27 page document.  I thought everything was under control.  Today, the document was opened to add some changes; and guess what; the named Multilevel List was gone.  Nowhere was it to be found. 

What can a user do to correct these problems? 

Do the developers care about users? 

I will be happy to reenter a long list of situations this user sees, if someone will provide realistic answers.

Last question:  Do the Word developers intend to correct the problematic problems that many have documented in the forums? 

Thank you for the help.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 12:10 AM

All replies

• For the first question:

See the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

If you create a template to hold your numbering scheme, you can use that
    template as the basis for new documents (using File > New) and the new
    documents will then inherit your numbering scheme. To do that, see:

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I) at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm

and Creating a Template (Part II) at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm

With numbering set up in that way in templates and documents created from those templates, I have never had any problems (nor also others in organizations where I have worked where I have setup templates containining such numbering)

Re Question 2 - This user/developer does.  I cannot speak for Microsoft as I do not work for Microsoft.

Show the list and someone may have solutions/work arounds for the issues.

Re Question 3 - see the last part of my response to Question 2.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"hardybob" wrote in message news:107c05b0-2531-46db-8630-96cfe094fde9@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Back in October a forum question was asked regarding "Multilevel Lists" and several replies were made.  However, the situations identified were never corrected. Workarounds were kind of found.  Such as:  A new Multilevel List was created, named and save for a 27 page document.  I thought everything was under control.  Today, the document was opened to add some changes; and guess what; the named Multilevel List was gone. Nowhere was it to be found.

What can a user do to correct these problems?

Do the developers care about users?

I will be happy to reenter a long list of situations this user sees, if someone will provide realistic answers.

Last question:  Do the Word developers intend to correct the problematic problems that many have documented in the forums?

Thank you for the help.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 12:48 AM
  • Doug Robins –

Thank you for the ideas. 

I do have a couple of templates, but none for this particular type of document.

The After many tries a Multilevel List was written and the document was configured to only use the new named Multilevel list.  Yesterday, the document was opened and the named Multilevel list is not included in the available selections under:  Current, List Library or Lists in Current Document. 

I will read the suggested 2 part document on templates and see if a template can be created to with a specific multilevel list.  At this point, it appears as though Multilevel Lists are associated with styles and other common features used with any template. But, they do not seem to be unique to a specific template.

These comments are created using a modified NORMAL.DOTX template.  The Multilevel List that was named and created a couple of months ago is included under “List Styles”.  But, it is not included in the list for the document I wish to change.  I have no idea why.  But, there is a good list and I want to make sure it is never lost.

At the present time there are 2 multilevel list displayed for the current document.

Question 1:  When a person looks at the Styles window (Ctrl, Alt, Shift S), How does a person determine which paragraphs are associated with a particular Multilevel List?

Question 2:  How does a person name a Multilevel List saved in the list library,

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:18 PM