Users not getting checked out file after save to sharepoint library, RRS feed

• Question

• I have users that access Excel 2010 .xlsm files from one Sharepoint 2007 Library (master templates are stored here) and save them to their department folders in another library. They do this through Citrix.

When I perform this action...

* Open template

* File saveas and save in the docment library

* Excel gives me the yellow banner telling me the file has been checked out to me.

Everything is fine.

When some users perform this action, they do not get the automatic checkout after save. Anyone know what may be causing this for some users?

I have no control over the SharePoint server and our settings for both SharePoint and Citrix should be similar.

Thanks!

• Edited by THEJayKLMNO Monday, February 17, 2014 7:44 PM clarity
    Monday, February 17, 2014 7:43 PM

Answers

• Jay,

If the library is the same in both cases, it might be that the users do not have contribute rights on the library, so they can read the document, but can not make changes and check it in.

If the library is different (department A vs B) then maybe Department B does not require check out in order to edit.

Best of luck,

Stacy Anothersharepointblog.blogspot.com

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Hi THEJayKLMNO,

When these particular users save the xlsm file to their department folder in another library, is this library the same library for the other users (could see the yellow banner) without issue?

Based on my test, the yellow banner will appear after save as the file to the library, only when the library settings option Require Check Out "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited? " is enabled.

Please check and make sure the destination libraries have enabled the Require Check Out option.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:55 AM

All replies

• Jay,

If the library is the same in both cases, it might be that the users do not have contribute rights on the library, so they can read the document, but can not make changes and check it in.

If the library is different (department A vs B) then maybe Department B does not require check out in order to edit.

Best of luck,

Stacy Anothersharepointblog.blogspot.com

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Hi THEJayKLMNO,

When these particular users save the xlsm file to their department folder in another library, is this library the same library for the other users (could see the yellow banner) without issue?

Based on my test, the yellow banner will appear after save as the file to the library, only when the library settings option Require Check Out "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited? " is enabled.

Please check and make sure the destination libraries have enabled the Require Check Out option.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:55 AM