none
Is DPM 2010 able to backup Hyper-V 2012 VMs running on CSVs? RRS feed

• Question

• haven't read anything that says I will be able to use my current DPM 2010 setup when I upgrade my Hyper-V cluster to 2012 but just wanted to make sure.

thanks,

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Only SCS 2012 DPM SP1 will support protecting Windows server 2012 workloads. There are no plans for DPM 2010 to support protecting Windows 2012 Hyper-v clusters, you will need to upgrade to System Center 2012 DPM and install SP1 once it is released early next year. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Only SCS 2012 DPM SP1 will support protecting Windows server 2012 workloads. There are no plans for DPM 2010 to support protecting Windows 2012 Hyper-v clusters, you will need to upgrade to System Center 2012 DPM and install SP1 once it is released early next year. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:26 PM
  • thanks Mike!
    Friday, December 7, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Mike -- For the record, the lack of support for DPM 2010 backing up Server 2012 workloads is really hurting customers bought DPM as part of the SCE "Plus" licensing.  With no option to upgrade to DPM 2012, and no roadmap or future plans for SCE having been announced, customers are forced to choose between getting all of the new features of Server 2012 or continuing to use DPM to back up their servers.  

In my case, we were able to get SC2012 licensing for next to nothing, so we're moving off of SCE, but  I feel bad for SCE customers who aren't eligible for some of the licensing options we are or who just don't have the resources to undertake such a major project as the transition from SCE to SC2012. 

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:06 PM
  • I'd be interested to know how you got SC2012 for 'next to nothing' as I support a non-profit organisation who are facing large costs for the upgrade and so looking at different backup solutions entirely - eg Veeam. At present they only use DPM2010 so purchasing full SC2012 is not worth it.

Mark

MarkU

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:17 PM