Word 2007 creates corrupt files RRS feed

• Question

• We use Word 2007.  We have basic .TXT files (with .LST extensions that we give them) that we open and save into .DOCX format.  If we simply open the files, choose the .DOCX option and save, the files will not open and Word says they are corrupt.  The saved files have .LST.DOCX extentions.  This happens on a local laptop hard drive.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

We've had other files become corrupt without being certain why.  Are there issues with delayed writes locally, over a network or involving NAS devices that may contribute to this? We use two NAS file servers.

This is very concerning because we have had large documents suddenly become corrupt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, November 27, 2015 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to use Word 2007 to open LST files and save it as DOCX format? Am I right? Do you mind telling us how did you create/get the LST files? As far as I know, LST are plain text files which can be viewed and edited with a text editor. If the file cannot open in a text editor, it is most likely saved in a binary format that can only be opened by the program that created the file. 

As a workaround, please try to convert the LST files to rich text format first, and then open it with Word 2007.

If I misunderstood something, please feel free let me know.

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 2:50 AM