WIN 7 Home Premium 64 lockup RRS feed

• Question

• My pc is up to date with all updates. Lately it has been lockingup on either the IE9 screeen or Outlook 2007 screen. The keyboard and mouse do not respond. My pc is an ASUS CM5570 dual processor E5300 pentium with 6 megs of ram.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I quite agree DarienHawk67’s suggestion. Also I suggest that you could use “sfc /scannow” and “chkdsk /f” to check the system file and hard disk.

If the issue persists, you could also try to perform a Clean Boot and use 50-50 method to find the root cause:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, February 3, 2012 11:55 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:56 AM

All replies

• Check your memory.  It is not uncommon for commercial PCs have a bad stick (or two) of RAM.  

Windows 7 has a built-in rudimentary memory checker that can help.

Boot with a Windows 7 DVD.  At the first screen, hit <SHIFT>+<F10>.  You will see that you are at x:\Sources>.  CD into Recovery (cd recovery).  Type RecEnv.exe, click Next.  Select the top radio button that reads, "Use recovery tools . . . ."  Select Windows Memory Diagnostic and chose the restart now option.  

For a more thorough check, however, head over to http://www.memtest.org/ and download the latest version.  Burn the ISO to a disk or make a bootable USB drive.  Boot and follow the on-screen instructions.  With 6GB, it will take a few hours to run through all of the tests.

Once your memory checks out, it is then time to investigate other pieces of hardware.

Monday, January 23, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

I quite agree DarienHawk67’s suggestion. Also I suggest that you could use “sfc /scannow” and “chkdsk /f” to check the system file and hard disk.

If the issue persists, you could also try to perform a Clean Boot and use 50-50 method to find the root cause:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

Hope that helps

William Tan

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, February 3, 2012 11:55 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Thank you both. I will try your suggestions as sson as I can.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:51 PM
  • I am not sure what is a "Clean Boot and 50-50 method" Could you explain.

thank you.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Hi,

From this article, you could disable half of service/start up item. Then check the issue again. Then repeat it to narrow down this problem.

William Tan

Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Thank you again.  I printed "clean boot" info.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:43 PM