MS Outlook 2016 sent email internet headers RRS feed

• Question

• Is it at all possible to see the internet headers for sent emails?

I have a problem where emails intermittently fail to reach recipients. They appear in Outlook as having been sent, yet my recipients report no trace of it and I don't get any "message undeliverable" reports.

The sent internet header might help to pin down the problem.

Friday, September 27, 2019 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Simon,

Agree with Andy, internet message header cannot be viewed for sent messages on Outlook client.

As for your issue, we need to check following aspects to narrow down this issue:

For client side:

1. Check if email stuck at Outbox in your Outlook client.
    2. Recipient check if emails received normally on the web mail.
    3. Try sending the email via the web mail directly to see if recipients can receive it.

For Server side:

If you didn't receive the NDR, check if email is stuck in queue. We can open the Queue Viewer. Error normally was recorded there.

Besides, use Message tracking log to see which part was failed. Try following cmdlet:

Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender User@domain.com -Recipients recipient@externaldomain.com -MessageSubject "Subject" | Sort-Object Timestamp 

Please paste the results here for further research.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Saturday, September 28, 2019 2:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Simon11Randall Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:32 AM
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 2:32 AM

All replies

• Is it at all possible to see the internet headers for sent emails?

I have a problem where emails intermittently fail to reach recipients. They appear in Outlook as having been sent, yet my recipients report no trace of it and I don't get any "message undeliverable" reports.

The sent internet header might help to pin down the problem.

They wont be in the sent messages.
    • Proposed as answer by Burak VAROL Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:55 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 11:45 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Agree with Andy, internet message header cannot be viewed for sent messages on Outlook client.

As for your issue, we need to check following aspects to narrow down this issue:

For client side:

1. Check if email stuck at Outbox in your Outlook client.
    2. Recipient check if emails received normally on the web mail.
    3. Try sending the email via the web mail directly to see if recipients can receive it.

For Server side:

If you didn't receive the NDR, check if email is stuck in queue. We can open the Queue Viewer. Error normally was recorded there.

Besides, use Message tracking log to see which part was failed. Try following cmdlet:

Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender User@domain.com -Recipients recipient@externaldomain.com -MessageSubject "Subject" | Sort-Object Timestamp 

Please paste the results here for further research.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Saturday, September 28, 2019 2:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Simon11Randall Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:32 AM
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 2:32 AM