none
Best Practice for Using Static Data in PDPs or Project Plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I want to make custom reports using PDPs & Project Plan data.

What is the Best Practice for using "Static/Random Data" (which is not available in MS Project 2013 columns) in PDPs & MS Project 2013?

Should I add that data in Custom Field (in MS Project 2013) or make PDPs?

Thanks,

EPM Consultant

Noman Sohail

Friday, January 9, 2015 12:18 PM

Answers

• Noman --

If you need to capture high level information about the project as a whole, create a custom enterprise Project field.  Again, you can add custom enterprise Project fields to existing PDPs.  If you need to capture custom information about tasks, then create a custom enterprise Task field.  For that information, however, you would probably want to create a custom enterprise table in your Enterprise Global file and then teach your PMs how to apply the table and enter the necessary task information.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by NomanSohail Monday, January 12, 2015 5:30 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 2:48 PM

All replies

• Noman --

If you need to collect project data that is not contained in any of the default fields that ship with Project Server, then this means you need to create custom enterprise Project fields for this purpose.  You can then include these custom fields in existing PDPs as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 9, 2015 12:40 PM
  • Thanks Dale for this -

With reference of your answer, what is the best practice to use,

Making Custom Field with selecting Project (for PDPs) or Task (for Task Columns) ?

Thanks,

Noman Sohail

• Edited by NomanSohail Friday, January 9, 2015 1:29 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 1:29 PM
  • Noman --

If you need to capture high level information about the project as a whole, create a custom enterprise Project field.  Again, you can add custom enterprise Project fields to existing PDPs.  If you need to capture custom information about tasks, then create a custom enterprise Task field.  For that information, however, you would probably want to create a custom enterprise table in your Enterprise Global file and then teach your PMs how to apply the table and enter the necessary task information.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by NomanSohail Monday, January 12, 2015 5:30 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Thanks Dale, I have found your answer is supported.

Please share your views on this too:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/68be9a45-2825-4434-aec0-d3d6f1bfe9ff/project-server-2013-integration-with-tfs?forum=projectserver2010general

Thanks,

Noman Sohail

• Edited by NomanSohail Monday, January 12, 2015 5:42 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 5:42 AM
  • Hi Dale,

I have a Project Level custom field "Supervisor Name" that is used for Project Information.

For the purpose of viewing that "Project Level custom field Data" in Project views , I have made Task Level custom field "SupName" and used Formula:

[SupName] = [Supervisor Name]

That shows Supervisor Name in Schedule.aspx

============

Question: I want that Project Level custom field "Supervisor Name" in My Work views (Tasks.aspx).

The field is enabled in Task.aspx BUT Data is not present / blank column.

How can I get the data in "My Work views" ?

Noman Sohail

• Edited by NomanSohail Friday, February 27, 2015 7:14 AM Update
    Friday, February 27, 2015 7:13 AM