Cleaning up database from obsolete clients RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm currently using the mainanance tasks for deleting records that are inactive (90 days) and obsolete (1 day). The problem is that if a computer is deleted from the SCCM database (manually for example), then a new record will be generated from AD SYSTEM DISCOVERY. Imagine that the account I removed from SCCM (or if it was removed by a manitenance task) because the computer is used no more, but the account in AD is still there (because the IT support missed to delete it), then the computer will show up in SCCM again. How do I prevent this from happen?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:22 AM

Answers

• Move the computer account to an OU that is not discovered or where ConfigMgr has no access to; disable the computer account or make sure that ConfigMgr cannot resolve the name to an IP address (DNS scavenging).

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:00 PM

All replies

• Move the computer account to an OU that is not discovered or where ConfigMgr has no access to; disable the computer account or make sure that ConfigMgr cannot resolve the name to an IP address (DNS scavenging).

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Search your DC and delete the computer.  SCCM will clean up the database after your "obsolete" record clean up.  Or you could delete them both out of the AD and out of SCCM.  Otherwise it will keep being discovered and pulled in.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, January 2, 2012 3:19 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:50 PM