How to do a mass update to user name for sharepoint users in database level? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

From the screen shot, the "created by" and "modified by" is displaying the name field of the user profile.

When I manually update the name for 1 user via the UI, the display name is showing the user name and at Database, the column UserInfo.tp_Title shows the updated username. Thus, I tried to do a update for another user at Database level to update the column UserInfo.tp_Title. The record was successfully updated but then I go in to sharepoint to see, the "created by" and "modified by" is still displaying the previous Login ID instead of the User Name. I cleared my cache and tried again, it is till not showing the update username.

I have 2000 users with the user login ID incorrectly saved as the user name. How to do a mass update to user name for sharepoint users in database level?

What is the table and column to update?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by blurboy Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:12 PM
    • Moved by star.warsModerator Friday, November 9, 2012 3:56 AM SP 2007 question (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Discussions and Questions)
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:11 PM

All replies

• It is not advisable and recommendable to use direct Database Update for SharePoint DBs.

Ideal way to correct this problem is to configure the User Profile Service properly and sync the User Profile Service with AD appropriately.

Once you complete the sync successfully, the timer jobs will take care of udpating the User Information Details in individual SharePoint DBs automatically.

Thanks, Bhadr :) Mark as Answer if it solves your problem. Vote As Helpful if the post is helpful for you.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am actually very new to sharepoint.

"Ideal way to correct this problem is to configure the User Profile Service properly and sync the User Profile Service with AD appropriately. "

Can you teach me how to configure the user profile service properly and how to sync?

Thanks

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Monday, October 29, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Oh dear, I posted the question in the wrong forum.

Current server is Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 running Sharepoint 3.0

I have posted my question in Sharepoint Legacy version forum.

Can admin help to remove my question here please?

Thanks!

• Edited by blurboy Monday, October 29, 2012 4:26 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 4:22 AM
  • Hi blurboy,

We can only involve the SharePoint web services to do so. I used to develop a sample application, it can be downloaded from:
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CAAAEC66E7551A8B!296

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff AT microsoft.com(Please replace AT with @)

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Hi Jinchun,

How can I make use of your application to link to my sharepoint for updating?

Can you provide some steps please?

Thanks!

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:15 AM
  • It is not advisable and recommendable to use direct Database Update for SharePoint DBs.

Ideal way to correct this problem is to configure the User Profile Service properly and sync the User Profile Service with AD appropriately.

Once you complete the sync successfully, the timer jobs will take care of udpating the User Information Details in individual SharePoint DBs automatically.

Thanks, Bhadr :) Mark as Answer if it solves your problem. Vote As Helpful if the post is helpful for you.

Hi Bhadr,

How do I configure the User Profile Service "properly" to do this syncing that you mention?

Thanks!

Monday, January 14, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Hi blurboy,

We can only involve the SharePoint web services to do so. I used to develop a sample application, it can be downloaded from:
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CAAAEC66E7551A8B!296

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff AT microsoft.com(Please replace AT with @)

Hi Jinchun,

How can I make use of your application to link to my sharepoint for updating?

Can you provide some steps please?

Thanks!

Monday, January 14, 2013 1:10 PM