none
Adding a group to a group

Question

• We are getting our new sites setup and to manage permissions we are of course using groups but we are wanting to be able to group some groups together. This is something I had done previously in older versions of SharePoint. But when I try to add someone to a group the only options I get are to add people.

Is there some other way to add a group to a group?

Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:48 PM

Answers

• Group participation in another Group never been in SharePoint 2010 or 2013. SharePoint online is the same.

You could add a AD group to a SharePoint group but not a SharePoint group in another SharePoint group.as Alex mentioned, this is mostly to manage the complexity of permission structure.

• Marked as answer by Sean P T Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:54 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 7:55 AM

All replies

• Nope it is not possible in O365.

I didn't think you could ever add a SharePoint group to another SharePoint group, fairly certain that's true for 2010 and 2013. It's forbidden for a variety of reasons but primarily because it can get very, very complicated and trying to manage that is too difficult/expensive.

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Group participation in another Group never been in SharePoint 2010 or 2013. SharePoint online is the same.

You could add a AD group to a SharePoint group but not a SharePoint group in another SharePoint group.as Alex mentioned, this is mostly to manage the complexity of permission structure.

• Marked as answer by Sean P T Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:54 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Thanks for the reply; that is a bummer. Groups inside of Groups is a functionality that goes back to the early days of computer security.

Of course I can do AD Groups inside of AD Groups and all is well.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:54 PM