none
Not getting option to convert volume to CSV windows server 2012 R2

Question

• Hi Team,

I have a 2 node hyper V cluster running on windows server 2012 R2 ,i wanted to convert present LUN to CSV but i am not getting the option.

TechGUy,System Administrator.

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:01 AM

All replies

• That's because you assigned them to whatever object you named "Windows Server 2012 R2". They need to be unassigned ("Assigned To" should say "Available Storage").

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Monday, March 27, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Hi Sir,

If these disks are used by other roles you may add additional disk for CSV .

If not , you can right-click the disk (cluster disk 1,2,3) "remove from xxx"

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:43 AM
  • but when i remove all the VMs shuts down, and i have to remove it again from CSV, and bring it to original settings like before, to get the VMs up and running again

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:42 PM
  • If that LUN is actively hosting VMs, they're going to need to be taken down anyway. Converting to CSV will invalidate all of their paths. A single cluster LUN hosting multiple VMs is an unsupported configuration that is headed for disaster one way or another.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:45 PM
  • In my case i am running all the OS for VM on a one volume and data on another volume,i mean to say what has to done now to convert this to CSV.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:48 PM
    1. Down the VM.
    2. Detach its VHDX files.
    3. Use Storage migration to relocate its remaining components to the C: drive or any alternative location that isn't the LUN.
    4. Detach the cluster LUN from the VM.
    5. Convert the cluster LUN to a CSV.
    6. Use Storage migration to relocate the VM's components to the CSV.
    7. Re-attach the VHDX files.
    8. Turn the VM on.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Thanks will try this and update you.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:25 PM