Skype Trusted App & SQL Mirroring Witness - could we use the same virtual server for both ? RRS feed

• Question

• We plan to use SQL mirroring for our on premise Skype for Business 'Enterprise Voice' project to replace our legacy Nortel/Avaya systems. We're discussing whether to add the SQL Witness server role to the same virtual server we'll be creating and using for the Skype Trusted Application server.  The Trusted App is needed for an Interactive Intelligence (ININ) Call Center Marquee which will also reside on this server.  The ININ Call Center system will replace our Nortel Call Center system, and the Marquee uses a web address to publish call center stats.  

The VM server is set up with 64 Bit 2 - Hex  Core Xeon 2.26 ghz processors, Actual = VMware: 4 vCPU, 16GB RAM, 80GB O/S for the Trusted Application and the Interactive Systems Marquee, and a 1 port NIC adapter, 1 Gbps or higher. 

I can't find an answer to this question of whether using the same virtual server for these multiple server roles will be an issue or not. Or if this will create any issues when we're doing the Skype Server updates and patches in the future.  Has anyone else done this, or have any thoughts ?  

Friday, July 22, 2016 1:05 AM

Answers

• Hi

Simply put, no you can't

The reason is that you will need to provide the server FQDN for the Trusted App Server and the Server FQDN for the SQL Mirror. The reason why you can't is that the topology builder will not allow you to add the same server FQDN more than once in the topology. 

I have seen people fudge it by creating a CNAME in DNS but this is not totally supported.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Friday, July 22, 2016 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi

Simply put, no you can't

The reason is that you will need to provide the server FQDN for the Trusted App Server and the Server FQDN for the SQL Mirror. The reason why you can't is that the topology builder will not allow you to add the same server FQDN more than once in the topology. 

I have seen people fudge it by creating a CNAME in DNS but this is not totally supported.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Friday, July 22, 2016 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Mark Vale, and as a supplement, I think there would be some other risks if we install two roles on one server. For example, Port Conflict. Just for your reference because I am not sure your Application server will use which port. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 22, 2016 11:59 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Exactly as Mark said , the fqdn conflict will not allow us to publish the topology and continue further. 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:06 AM