SCCM 2012 SP1 client install showing failed in Software Center RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my SCCM 2012 to SP1 and it went pretty smoothly. Now I'm trying to push the client out to a group of test clients and am having mixed results. The first 2 were VMs, one 64-bit Windows 7 and one 32-bit Windows XP. Both seemed to install OK but software Center reports that the install failed. I see no errors in ccmsetup.log and Configuration Manager in Control Panel has a version of 5.00.7804.1000 on both of them. I also pushed it to my test group of physical machines, again one Windows 7 and one Windows XP. This time, the Windows 7 machine installed, and Software Center shows a status of Installed but the XP machine is the same as the VMs and again, nothing in the ccmsetup.log and the version number is correct. For installation I used the instructions from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298.aspx following the instructions to use a package to deploy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, March 8, 2013 8:08 PM

All replies

• >> seemed to install OK but software Center reports that the install failed

I'm pretty sure that's normal since the package/program is going to cause the client agent to be uninstalled and therefore it can't track the success when it reinstalls.

>> Control Panel has a version of 5.00.7804.1000

This is the version number for SP1.  When you say ccmsetup.log doesn't show anything, I assume that means you see that it did the upgrade and returned no error?

>> Windows 7 machine installed, and Software Center shows a status of Installed but the XP machine is the same 

I would actually be more interested in how the Win 7 machine knows its installed.  You should use a query-based collection so that the deployment doesn't target machines that are not on the old version.  This way, once upgraded the machine will eventually not have the deployment targeting it and it won't show up at all in Software Center.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Saturday, March 9, 2013 3:12 PM