none
UEFI (IPv4) PXE Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Having a tremendous amount of trouble PXE booting a Dell Precision 5510/5520 model laptop. I've been working with an advanced support tech for almost a month now testing out solutions and even he is stumped. We went over the correct BIOS settings, UEFI Network stack, etc. etc. These laptops do not have an integrated NIC and my WDS&MDT 8450 reside on a VM separate from our AD/DHCP VM server. ADK 1809 installed as well, latest Windows PE drivers from Dell CAB website, etc.

I have tried to configure scope options 066 and 067 to my WDS server and boot\x64\wdsmgfw.efi file and still the IPv4 PXE boot is looking to the correct server, but still picking up the wdsnbp.com file. As a result of this the UEFI - USB (IPv4) boot option will check media presense, see the WDS server, download the wrong nbp file and boot into Support Assist, thus failing to boot to my WDS/MDT server.

The problems I am seeing on my end is that setting the DHCP Scope options to 066 and 067 are fine, however, I am also reading there needs to be a scope option for 060 set to PXE Client which 060 DOES NOT exist in the list when configuring the scope options. The second problem is UEFI PXE Boot grabbing the from file being wdsnbp.com versus wdsmgfw.efi. Has anyone experienced this issue or have any insight on this?

I have not experienced this issue with other Windows 7 or 10 models WITH integrated ethernet ports because while being in UEFI mode with Secure Boot off, I am able to select onboard NIC from the legacy options.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi all,

Having a tremendous amount of trouble PXE booting a Dell Precision 5510/5520 model laptop. I've been working with an advanced support tech for almost a month now testing out solutions and even he is stumped. We went over the correct BIOS settings, UEFI Network stack, etc. etc. These laptops do not have an integrated NIC and my WDS&MDT 8450 reside on a VM separate from our AD/DHCP VM server. ADK 1809 installed as well, latest Windows PE drivers from Dell CAB website, etc.

I have tried to configure scope options 066 and 067 to my WDS server and boot\x64\wdsmgfw.efi file and still the IPv4 PXE boot is looking to the correct server, but still picking up the wdsnbp.com file. As a result of this the UEFI - USB (IPv4) boot option will check media presense, see the WDS server, download the wrong nbp file and boot into Support Assist, thus failing to boot to my WDS/MDT server.

The problems I am seeing on my end is that setting the DHCP Scope options to 066 and 067 are fine, however, I am also reading there needs to be a scope option for 060 set to PXE Client which 060 DOES NOT exist in the list when configuring the scope options. The second problem is UEFI PXE Boot grabbing the from file being wdsnbp.com versus wdsmgfw.efi. Has anyone experienced this issue or have any insight on this?

I have not experienced this issue with other Windows 7 or 10 models WITH integrated ethernet ports because while being in UEFI mode with Secure Boot off, I am able to select onboard NIC from the legacy options.

Not exactly your issue but I found this. might try bios update. https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Precision-5510-BIOS-UEFI-PXE/td-p/5014553

Also you can disable the option for legacy boot options in the bios so they do not show.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:27 PM
  • Have you tried using \boot\x64\pxeboot.com?  This is how I have my DHCP scope setup.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:55 PM
  • Hi gregw2,

BIOS is at the latest update at 1.9.0 for the Precision 5520. Legacy ROMs are disbaled UEFI mode - Secure Boot=off. All thunderbolt premods are checked off/enabled, UEFI network stack enabled. All the BIOS Setting check out.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:06 PM
  • I set 0066 and 067 how they should be with your recommendation of pxeboot.com. I set this in the scope of my WDS/MDT server. As we have about 6-8 different scopes set, should I set it for the individual scope that the MDT server is on? Not the overall IPv4 server options.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:10 PM
  • It should be on the scope that the clients will be using.  I have mine setup on the corporate LAN segment of our network itself so that all of the systems get this information but only use it when performing a PXE boot
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:12 PM
  • My apologies. the 1.9.0 is for the 5510 model and 1.12.1 is for 5520. This one I am testing on is v1.12.1/5520 laptop. I tried your suggestion and even modified the server options and each individual scope (066 & 067) and still no luck. From a captured video on my phone, prior to going into SupportAssist it starts the PXE Boot, but is still looking to wdsnbp.com no matter what modification I make.

I cannot post links or images until I am verified, so for a quicker solution, this is what I see on my end.

Screen 1

>>Checking Media Presense.....

>>Media Present.....

>>Start PXE over IPv4

NBP filename is \boot\x64\wdsnbp.com

NBP filesize is 30832 Bytes

Screen 2

Succeed to download NBP file.

Screen 3

SupportAssist Scan starts

• Edited by sysadmin93 Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:43 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:43 PM
  • I set 0066 and 067 how they should be with your recommendation of pxeboot.com. I set this in the scope of my WDS/MDT server. As we have about 6-8 different scopes set, should I set it for the individual scope that the MDT server is on? Not the overall IPv4 server options.

I have never had to set any scope options to get mine to work. You shouldn't as long as the WDS server and the client are on the same scope. But if you set them it needs to be set on the scope where the WDS/MDT server is located
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:59 PM
  • My apologies. the 1.9.0 is for the 5510 model and 1.12.1 is for 5520. This one I am testing on is v1.12.1/5520 laptop. I tried your suggestion and even modified the server options and each individual scope (066 & 067) and still no luck. From a captured video on my phone, prior to going into SupportAssist it starts the PXE Boot, but is still looking to wdsnbp.com no matter what modification I make.

I cannot post links or images until I am verified, so for a quicker solution, this is what I see on my end.

Screen 1

>>Checking Media Presense.....

>>Media Present.....

>>Start PXE over IPv4

NBP filename is \boot\x64\wdsnbp.com

NBP filesize is 30832 Bytes

Screen 2

Succeed to download NBP file.

Screen 3

SupportAssist Scan starts

I wonder if its immediately bypassing the UEFI pxe and going to the legacy. The pxe boot screen will look different if its using UEFI or Legacy.
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:03 PM
  • Absolutely the strangest thing, but I removed all scope option configs, enabled Legacy ROMs and with these models because of the USB type-c to ethernet dongle instead of "Onboard NIC" it is "USB NIC"....it got the MAC address and booted into my deployment server. Strangest thing ever. MDT works when it wants to it seems like but I am going to run some more tests and see if I can sysprep utilizing the System32 folder .exe and capture my custom image of Windows 10 with some CAD software utilized company wide. Wish me luck and I appreciate all of your input!
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:26 PM