Server With Server 2012 R2 Standard Will No Longer Boot Up - Error 0xc00002e2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I have a server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard that has worked just fine for 3 years that will no longer boot. Each time it comes up with error 0xc00002e2.

It all started about 4 months ago after I installed a Microsoft CRM upgrade on my server and it did not work properly so I did an image restore like I have done maybe 10 or 15 times over the years.

As soon as the restore completed the error came up and it has been there ever since.

I have tried restoring from 3 other backups that I have done and each time I get the same error.

I have tried using both NTDSUTIL and ESENTUTL that people have successfully used to eliminate this problem that are listed on various forums but it keeps appearing for me.

I have tried replacing the hard drive and I still get that error.

I have 2 4 GB memory chips in the server so I have tried just having 1 chip in and then the other and I still get the error.

My biggest concern with just replacing the server is that I don't want to lose all of my information that is in my Microsoft CRM data base.

Any other ideas of what I can try before I just consider the server a complete loss?

Thanks.

Rick Bellefond
    RB Data Services
    www.rbdata.com

Rick Bellefond RB Data Services www.rbdata.com

Saturday, July 22, 2017 11:54 PM

All replies

• These ones might help.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln290986/recovering-the-active-directory-database-in-windows-server-2012-r2?lang=en

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/258062/-directory-services-cannot-start-error-message-when-you-start-your-win

Also better to not mix application server role with active directory domain services. Another option is to install hyper-v role on host and stand up two VMs. One for active directory domain services and other as member server for CRM application.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:16 AM
  • It seems to be a hardware problem. You said "I have tried replacing the hard drive and I still get that error."

I think that your hardware isn't a dedicated server. You have to get into BIOS and change HDD mode, i think the current mode is RAID or an improper mode for your hardware, you have to change to other mode. Change SATA configuration from the current state to AHCI or IDE, save then boot, this should solve the problem.

By the way you can save your information, put the HDD into another PC that works properly as slave then copy your information and data.

Hope helps you.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Hi.  First of all thanks for responding to my post.

I went into my BIOS and verified that my SATA mode is AHCI (my only options were AHCI or ATA), RAID was not an option.

I also checked and saw that my Boot Mode was Legacy.

I tried changing it to UEFI and it updated firmware.  Could that be my problem is that it updated something that I do not have access to change, at least through the BIOS?

So I get that 0xc00002e2 no matter which of the 4 system images that I have that I restore.

I also tried reinstalling an eval copy of Windows 2012 R2 Standard, since I can't find the original media, I choose "Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation (Server With A GUI)".

I then tried first option "Upgrade, Install Windows and keep files, settings and applications.

I then got a Compatibility Message saying The Computer Started using the Windows Installation Media. Remove the Media and restart the computer so that Windows starts normally.  The problem is that in my current situation Windows does not start normally.

If instead I repeat this process but instead of choosing the Upgrade option I choose the Advanced option that reformats the hard disk and installs a clean copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation.  In this case I can get Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Eval to boot WITHOUT that 0xc00002e2 error message but I noticed that many of the services are disabled.

If I then do a image restore from any of my 4 images that I have then I get back the 0xc00002e2 error.

Any ideas of what I can do to get this to work or is this computer just need to be replaced?

Thanks.

Rick Bellefond
    RB Data Services
    www.rbdata.com

Sunday, July 23, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Hi Dave,

First of all, thanks for responding to my post.

It is kind of hard to imagine that with the 4 image backups that I have that the ntds.dit file would be corrupt in all of them don't you think?

If I go a clean install of Windows 2012 Standard R2 Eval on that computer then the oxc00002e2 error goes away even though when I go into the Service Manager I notice that several of the services that I would need to use are disabled.

If at this point I do another image restore of any of the 4 image backups that I have then then the 0xc00002e2 error returns.

I am very close to replacing the hardware even though this hardware has reliably worked for over 3 years.

Thanks.

Rick Bellefond
    RB Data Services
    www.rbdata.com 

Sunday, July 23, 2017 5:53 PM
  • At boot you can try F8 and DSRM mode and try the repair steps here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/258062/-directory-services-cannot-start-error-message-when-you-start-your-win

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:24 PM
  • Rick you have to understand that your HDD can't communicate with motherboard, dont't waste your time with backup image because backup utility can't "see" the media storage. I am curious how did you use NTDSUTIL and ESENTUTL whether your server does not boot?

Get into BIOS and change HDD to a proper mode, try one by one, is the only way to solve the problem.

"I tried changing it to UEFI and it updated firmware.  Could that be my problem is that it updated something that I do not have access to change, at least through the BIOS?"

Yes!

When you install a fresh copy of 2012 R2 this use the current mode of HDD, e.g. AHCI but the image of original OS was another mode e.g. ATA. You have to solve this.

This is the reason that you get blue screen.

• Edited by ugabrielu Monday, July 24, 2017 6:16 AM
    Monday, July 24, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Hi Rick Bellefond,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 21, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Thanks for checking in.

The answer to you question is that I never was able to get it resolved. 

I tried all the things related to resolving error 0xc0002e2 that I could find on this forum and elsewhere and nothing seemed to work.

I ended up buying a new server.

I have a computer repair shop that I have worked with for over 30 years and the owner thought he could take the image backup from my old server and restore it to the new server.

He said he does that sort of thing all the time.  He has some software that allows him to do that.

He had my new server and an external hard drive with 3 backup images of the old server.

Anyhow, when he got the image restored he got the same oxc00002e2 trying to boot the new server

I had successfully restored from those 3 backed up images before I had this problem so I find it hard to believe that all 3 images are bad.

I guess my only option left is to reinstall everything on the new server manually.

To make this even more confusing I had the same sort of thing happen on my Lenovo laptop.  I installed a Microsoft update which required a restart and when I restarted the computer the computer would not boot.  I had a backed up image of that computer as well and after I did the restore that computer would not boot.  I sent it back to Square Trade since I had purchased an extended warranty to see if they can fix whatever is going on with it.

I am a software consultant and one of the techs that I work with had exactly the same thing happen on his personal computer where he installed an updated, had to then restart it to complete the installation and then his computer would not boot and he had an image backup as well and when he did the restore his system would still not boot.

My question is if the hardware is good, and I have to believe that it is on my new server, and the image backup is good other than maybe the firmware what doesn't get restored as part of an image restore?

Candy, aren't you glad you asked?  :)

Thanks.

Rick Bellefond
    RB Data Services
    www.rbdata.com

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:54 AM