none
Win XP BSODs in safe mode only RRS feed

• Question

• 've got a nice little Thinkpad that has been running fine on WinXP Pro and I imaged the original HDD onto a Kingspec SSD. (KSD-PA25.6-064MS, internal 2.5" IDE drive)

In normal mode, everything has been running fine. Updated with all the latest patches (including the ones you can get through this week).

Just for the record, it does boot quickly but in typical use it ain't all that much faster...the x31 is CPU-bound.

But if I try to go to SAFE mode, it BSODs right after the agp440.sys module loads. Error codes are:
    0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF76C0211, 0xF78E26F8, 0xF78E23F4)

OF COURSE there is no other information on the BSOD page, nothing gets written to the bootlog file, the event file...and memory dumps don't happen so I have very little to go on.

The original disk goes into SAFE mode just fine, so we know it isn't the motherboard.

Did a bunch of cleanup to the registry, non-plug-n-play devices, etc. No change.

Reinstalled every driver and device in the system. No change.

Did the "safeboot key repair" script. No change.

Moved DRAM SIMMs around, no change.

Looked in Current Control Set's Safeboot keys, comparing it to other XP boxes and they looked fine.

Note that the BSOD happens a couple of seconds after the last driver is loaded, so I don't think it's a driver problem. I think it's just as the SAFE window system tries to start up that the death occurs.

Ideas?

Send fanmail whenever you like. Dave

Sunday, May 5, 2019 12:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is a link to an old MS KB article:

http://pc1central.com/support/kbase/Agp440-sys-Service.htm

The issue may be with the video card and/or video card drivers.

Try updating the video card drivers to the latest version for XP.

• Edited by auggyMVP Sunday, May 5, 2019 1:03 AM
    Sunday, May 5, 2019 1:03 AM
  • This error – agp440.sys is a catch all that really means something has changed. If you have a USB drive connected then remove it. Also disconnect your CD/DVD drives.

Also note your processor, check its status.

Similar case here:

http://www.ifoundafix.com/2008/03/25/windows-safe-mode-stuck-on-agp440sys-or-will-not-boot/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. Windows XP is end of support, in order to get better user experience and safer protection, we suggest to upgrade system to Windows 10.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 6, 2019 1:42 AM
  • Hi all,

Well, I've discovered that it's nothing to do with AGP440.sys.  Now that I got bootlogging working, SAFE mode is loading way too many drivers (like, a couple of dozen extras) that should only be running in multi-user mode (like, they're multithreaded, etc.)  So stuff like 1394 adapter, sound, TCPIP, are getting loaded and eventually one of them (kmixer.sys) is demanding a resource that isn't htere in SAFE mode.

So, does anybody have any idea why SAFE mode would be ignoring the SAFEBOOT registry entry (the one that's in the ControlSet) and loading "everything"?

The root cause of this problem is almost certainly a bad uninstall of AVG.  I'd really like to keep the SSD image I have, due to all the installs and customizations I've done.  To go back to SP3 and have to re-download 300+ updates is totally for the birds.

In standard multi-user mode, it runs like a champ.  It's just SAFE mode that's goofy.

Ideas??

Monday, May 6, 2019 11:50 PM
  • AND NOW I CAN REPORT MY SAFE MODE WORKS~~~!!!!

Turns out that "the latest drivers" for the embedded trackpoint device were not compatible with XP, even though they said they were.
    I had to completely uninstall the new drivers (which is harder than it sounds, for reasons I won't go into) and after a half hour of registry cleanout I installed a driver from back in 2006 and....voila, fixed.

How did I do it? By learning about the Safeboot key (read this excellent article series)

So there are several lessons about 7E errors:

• If you can get crash dumps and events in the log, start there
    • if you can't, look in ntboot.log and compare your safe mode loading sequence with a known good machine with the same OS version. safe mode should be loading only a few dozen drivers and services, and the log file should indicate hundreds of other drivers that were not loaded. If you don't see lots of "did not load..." lines in the NTboot log, something is fishy. (Of course...make sure you're looking at the correct log...they are just appended and if safe mode is broken the very last log entries will be for multi-user mode, not safe. Each boot log starts with a line that indicates the OS version and a date/time stamp.
    • check to make sure your Safeboot key is actually in the registry. Which control set should it be in? the one that's defined the default in the Select subkey of the parent's parent control key
    • the graphics driver is the most common cause of 7E stop errors. but I learned the hard way that it could be any driver that SAFE mode uses.
    • go into the Safeboot Minimal key of the default ControlSet, and one by one eliminate devices (there should be about 30 of them), followed by a reboot into safe mode. Eventually, you'll find a way to get safe mode running, even though it's crippled.
    • Once you've identified the culprit driver, download several versions of it (including the original-as-shipped one, if you can find it). Note that for old OSs like XP it can be hard to find drivers that are 10 or more years old. UNFORTUNATELY, newer drivers may not in fact be fully compatible with XP, even though they will claim it.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:50 PM

• Glad to hear this issue has been solved by yourself. Thanks for sharing. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 1:44 AM
  • when I see a file like AGP bro your computer is a dinosaur and you really need a new one  there is so much new  

but what is happening is that the system is calling on that agp file {10 year old tech} and not finding it causing the BSOD 

dude if you can ditch that hunk of junk grab a brand new one with a fresh copy of windows 10 and join the millions of stumped people that ask questions here

check to see if the file even exsits on your computer 

Saturday, June 15, 2019 11:23 PM