none
Adding a simple User Directory list with presence information in Sharepoint Online

Question

• I've done a lot of googling on this but can't seem to find a simple straightforward answer.  Basically, we have Office 365 Business Premium and use AD Sync to sync our users to O365 and have a hybrid Exchange setup.  I want to have a simple user directory of everyone that AD Sync pushes to O365 in Sharepoint Online.  I want that to be our company directory and use that list for other Access web apps I will be implementing.  I can't imagine MS not having something like that built in or otherwise readily available.  What is the best way to go about this?
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:30 PM

All replies

• The built in version would be the people search tool. It isn't built for browsing but that doesn't scale well anyway.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:45 PM
  • We are a relatively small company (under 100 employees) so scaling wouldn't be too big of an issue.  How would you go about it?  
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:01 PM
  • I'd try using a content by search webpart that targets people only and orders alphabetically. You'd need to page on 30(50?) items as there's a hard limit to the CSWP. You can then modify the display template to include the skype/link availability icon.

Alternatively you can create some sort of PowerShell script or C# desktop application to populate the list or go really nuts and create a hosted app that re-generates the list for you from the UPS.

You could use the User Information List on the company intranet but that won't be accurate.

In the end i'd probably be pushing the client not to do it, it'd take too long to be worth it when the people search already exists.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:15 PM