none
Inserting Subprojects at specific level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a master schedule which has 48 subprojects with it.

The inserted subprojects are at outline level 1, when I try and add a new subproject, I cannot get it to add at that outline level, it either inserts at level 2 or 3.  See pic.

The sub outline level is the same as the others, can someone tell me if I can control the outline level it is inserted at?

Regards

Sean

Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:27 AM

Answers

• Sean,

The best way to insert additional subprojects is to collapse existing subprojects and then insert. After that you can rearrange the subprojects, to some extent.

However, be advised that in a dynamic master, which is the default, the subprojects are not actually part of the master, rather the master contains pointers to each individual subproject. Furthermore, dynamic masters are prone to corruption. You must never rename, move, overwrite or save off to another location any of the files in the structure. Ideally, all files should be in a single directory and folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

Unless you have a specific need for a dynamic master, it is much safer to create a static master. What is a static master? It is a single independent file that is created by unchecking the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window. It is a snapshot in time of all the inserted subprojects and therefore needs to be recreated anytime an update is needed but this can easily be automated by recording a macro the first time it is created.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Sean Pears Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:25 PM
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 1:53 AM

All replies

• Sean,

The best way to insert additional subprojects is to collapse existing subprojects and then insert. After that you can rearrange the subprojects, to some extent.

However, be advised that in a dynamic master, which is the default, the subprojects are not actually part of the master, rather the master contains pointers to each individual subproject. Furthermore, dynamic masters are prone to corruption. You must never rename, move, overwrite or save off to another location any of the files in the structure. Ideally, all files should be in a single directory and folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

Unless you have a specific need for a dynamic master, it is much safer to create a static master. What is a static master? It is a single independent file that is created by unchecking the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window. It is a snapshot in time of all the inserted subprojects and therefore needs to be recreated anytime an update is needed but this can easily be automated by recording a macro the first time it is created.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, March 11, 2017 1:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply John, the Master was set up by someone with primarily Primavera experience so I am having to unpick a lot of this as I go and your static master seems like the way forward.

Files are all currently in one folder, however we were looking to distribute them a doc management solution where we lose that element of control.

I give the statis master a go.

Many thanks

Sean

• Unmarked as answer by Sean Pears Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:25 PM
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:22 AM
  • Sean,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:27 PM