none
Updating to Windows 8.1 encounters 0x80070083 error code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I encounter problems when I try to update my Windows 8 Pro machine to Windows 8.1. I receive the error code 0x80070083 in Windows store.

To try to solve the problem I have used "Fix problems with Windows Update" under System and security in the Control Panel and I have also tried to restart the following services:

Windows Module installer services

Windows update services

Here on Google drive I have made a copy of my %windir%\Windowsupdate.log

drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYRzP64amBnUFFMQlROY0ZPdW8/edit?usp=sharing

Would be very grateful if you looked at my problem.

Kind regards // Staffan

Monday, August 4, 2014 12:16 PM

All replies

• Try run Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant , it will check for potential compatibility issues and you could try to fix them (for example by upgrading your drivers) and then try upgrade again.
    Monday, August 4, 2014 4:57 PM
  • I tried running "Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant" and it said my system and all 24 applications where compatible with windows 8.1.
    Monday, August 4, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

The log files indicates that the error could be a BITS problem, I suggest you run services.msc and check the BITS service (Background Intelligent Transfer Service), make sure it is running.

Run wsreset.exe to reset Windows Store cache, test the result.

You can also try the following cmd to clear\rename oftwareDistribution folder

net stop wuauserv - Press Enter

rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old - Press Enter

net start wuauserv - Press Enter

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:12 AM
  • Hello again

I tried doing all the things you suggestted, but I still don't get the update to windows 8.1 to start downloading. It end either without error message or with the error code 0x80070083.

This is my current windowsupdate.log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYRzP64amBnZDB0UW5wdGV4eUU/edit?usp=sharing

Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

The second log shows some failure information about updating IE 10, some kernal driver upadtes, and some other security updates, I suggets you install all important updates before upgrading to Windows 8.1

2014-08-13	21:41:44:066	 852	1ba4	DnldMgr	***********  DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId = {406CB23B-7233-49EB-8402-CB16332854CE}.1]  ***********
    2014-08-13	21:41:44:066	 852	1ba4	DnldMgr	  * Update is not allowed to download due to service regulation or download size limitation.
    All show the error message above, make sure to restart PC to finish some regular installation tasks.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 18, 2014 2:51 AM
  • Hi again Yolanda

I am really trying to get this to work. Now I have made all the necessary updates. All important updates are installed. I redid ALL the steps above a second time to try to get it to work. Still no luck, same error code. 

This is my new windowsupdate.log : 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYRzP64amBnYzM0NEVLX2o1bTg/edit?usp=sharing

I really appreciate you help.

Monday, August 18, 2014 11:42 AM