New Install Mount Points RRS feed

• Question

•  

Under Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (and 32-bit):

I have 4 hard drives (NTFS format) in a Non-RAID configuration. I'd like to be able to pre-set folders and mount points across all 4 drives for my new Vista 64 installation.

Basically, I want all my OS/System (drive\Windows, etc) files to be located on Drive #1, all user files (drive\User, etc) to be located on Drive #2, all the Programs (drive\Program Files, drive\ProgramData, etc) to be located on Drive #3, and then have all media (drive\User\Pictures, drive\User\Music, and drive\User\Videos) to be located on Drive #4 using the TLD (top-level directory) standard for each location. In otherwords, I don't want to create a new empty folder in each existing folder in order to mount the volume. There will be a main account besides the Administrator account, so I don't care about the other data being on Drive #1.

Is this possible - Since you can't move the program files out of that folder onto a different drive when inside a Windows session?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:06 AM

Answers

• According to your problem description, you should install Windows Vista OS on Drive #1, redirect your user data to Drive #2, install third-party programs on Drive #3 and then copy all media files on Drive #4. That is the only way to meet your needs.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:43 AM

All replies

• According to your problem description, you should install Windows Vista OS on Drive #1, redirect your user data to Drive #2, install third-party programs on Drive #3 and then copy all media files on Drive #4. That is the only way to meet your needs.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:43 AM
  • So I can't setup the mounting points before installing?

Is there a way I can format my drives, access them via a secondary PC, set up the mounting points and then install Windows back onto the drive on the primary PC?

Like you said, I don't think this can be done, and since I can't move programs around while "files are in use"...

I'm stuck. Microsoft: Take note.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:27 PM