Trying to install WSUS but receiving Database Instance error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am attempting to install the WSUS role on my SCCM 2012 SP1 server (Server 2012) but when I test the connection to the databse I get the error below:

Note:

Firewall is disabled (I am using a lab environment

Instance is vmsccm/mssqlserver

the sql server is installed on the system that sccm 2012 sp1 is.

Please help

Phil Balderos

Sunday, August 4, 2013 4:32 PM

Answers

• For the default instance, do not specify anything except the server name.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:12 PM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Your account hasn't the permission to create the WSUS database, make sure your account has db create rights in SQL (I usually make my installation account Sysadmin on SQL).

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:39 PM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:04 PM

All replies

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:12 PM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:05 PM

wow I had a twist in my mouth as I typed "just the server" and boom! It worked. I was thinking no way! Serves me right for doubting a Jedi

Thanks!

Phil Balderos

Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi Jason,

So now that I as able to connect using the default instance i have another problem I am hoping you could help me with.<o:p></o:p>

Post install of WSUS fails when I try to connect WSUS updates to my sources directory. Here are several screen shots. the 3rd is the log file related the attempt to create sql db. 

Next window showed the folling error:

The post-install task failed. See below for details

Log file is located at c:\Users|balderos_admin\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp2A12.tmp

Post instll is starting 

Fatal error: Database creation failed

<o:p></o:p>

Phil Balderos

Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Your account hasn't the permission to create the WSUS database, make sure your account has db create rights in SQL (I usually make my installation account Sysadmin on SQL).

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:39 PM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:04 PM

Hi Gerry I tried that but this is the error I received an error. I am logged into the sql management studio with a domain admin account I created and I tried to add that same account to the system admin group as you mentioned. 

Phil Balderos

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:30 PM

Ok looks like I installed sql using local admin so I logged on with this account and added my domain admin account to the sysadmin grou and that worked! Thanks!

Phil Balderos

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:39 PM
  • That just confirms that your current domain admin account does not have the required SQL permissions. Have a look at the SQL permissions. Find an account that does have Sysadmain permissions and log on as that. Then add your domain admin account to Sysadmin

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Snap. Glad you got sorted

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:42 PM