Windows Explorer Memory Leak Help! RRS feed

• Question

• please help me in this issue.
    I have noticed whenever I right-click on desktop the Memory Usage for Windows Explorer increases. I am looking at Task Manager.. This is a screenshot, see how much RAM it used!!!!

This issue occurs when I right-click on an empty place not only on Desktop.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:49 PM

Answers

• I went further into this issue. I have been genius. :) :)

Logically and simply, the issue occurs when I right-click anywhere in an empty space.

And I noticed it when the nVIDIA driver is installed.

So I thought to remove the "nVIDIA Control Panel context menu" from Right-Click, I searched online on how to do that and issue is gone. I tried it more few times to re-check (Add the key for nVIDIA control panel right click) and then remove it. Whenever the nVIDIA Control Panel context menu is shown along with the Intel graphics latest driver in the Right-Click, the issue occurs, and whenever the nVIDIA Control Panel context menu is removed from Right-Click leaving only the Intel Control Panel, the issue goes away

However, this issue doesn't occur when an older driver for Intel Graphics is installed as I said before even if nVIDIA Control Panel Context menu is shown in Right-Click.

So, looks like this sounds a conflict with both the Context Menus for nVIDIA and Intel (The new version)?

• Proposed as answer by EMMmmmmmm Friday, August 1, 2014 7:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:41 AM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:12 PM
  • So, looks like this sounds a conflict with both the Context Menus for nVIDIA and Intel (The new version)?

Hi,

When you right click on desktop, this operation would load the right lick menu, also would query NVIDIA context menu, if there was problem with its key, it would caused some problem, like the memory occupy problem.

This should be NVIDIA driver problem, it would be better to contact NVIDIA for further assistance.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, you can expand the Explorer.exe process in Task Manager if there was any subprocess occupying memory.

Secondly, this problem probably caused by 3rd plugin and you can try to use ShellExView to check it.

Click the link below to download ShellExView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator

2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu

3. On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software

4. Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.

5. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer

6. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

Roger Lu

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:57 PM
  • I went further into this issue. I have been genius. :) :)

Logically and simply, the issue occurs when I right-click anywhere in an empty space.

And I noticed it when the nVIDIA driver is installed.

So I thought to remove the "nVIDIA Control Panel context menu" from Right-Click, I searched online on how to do that and issue is gone. I tried it more few times to re-check (Add the key for nVIDIA control panel right click) and then remove it. Whenever the nVIDIA Control Panel context menu is shown along with the Intel graphics latest driver in the Right-Click, the issue occurs, and whenever the nVIDIA Control Panel context menu is removed from Right-Click leaving only the Intel Control Panel, the issue goes away

However, this issue doesn't occur when an older driver for Intel Graphics is installed as I said before even if nVIDIA Control Panel Context menu is shown in Right-Click.

So, looks like this sounds a conflict with both the Context Menus for nVIDIA and Intel (The new version)?

• Proposed as answer by EMMmmmmmm Friday, August 1, 2014 7:36 AM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:12 PM
  • So, looks like this sounds a conflict with both the Context Menus for nVIDIA and Intel (The new version)?

Hi,

When you right click on desktop, this operation would load the right lick menu, also would query NVIDIA context menu, if there was problem with its key, it would caused some problem, like the memory occupy problem.

This should be NVIDIA driver problem, it would be better to contact NVIDIA for further assistance.

Roger Lu

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:40 AM