Windows Desktop Shortcuts Disable Keyboard Layout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Windows keyboard layout Ctrl+Alt layer is disabled by Desktop icons keyboard shortcuts.  This is due to AltGr key being a Ctrl+Alt shortcut (Windows only).  At every time, when depressing AltGr + <key>, users who have this key in a Desktop shortcut with Ctrl+Alt, will have this shortcut launched, not any character inserted.

By the time, this issue was related to historical evolution of keyboards (US vs non-US).  Today, while still on-going, it is decrypted as a marketing tool to struggle against third party applications like Google Docs.  Indeed, on the other hand, Microsoft has implemented in Word, an intelligent keyboard managing algorithm, which goes as follows:

• There is a shortcut in the program, but no character on the keyboard layout:
      Shortcut works with Ctrl+Alt as well as with AltGr.
    • There is a character on the keyboard, but no shortcut in Word:
      Character is inserted with AltGr as well as with Ctrl+Alt.
    • There is a character as well as a shortcut:
      Character is inserted with AltGr, and shortcut works with Ctrl+Alt.

Today, while using a new keyboard layout (maybe of another language) containing characters on the alphabetical keys on AltGr layer, users must change all their Desktop shortcuts as far as the above malfunctioning is on.

Would Microsoft please implement on Windows 10, an option enabling users to get the AltGr key as Alternate Graphic back again?  This option will ensure compatibility inside Windows and with user-defined keyboard layouts (MSKLC).

Please be so kind to submit this post with internal ways to the attention of Microsoft Windows 10 Development Leading Manager.  Microsoft is asked to perform some essential enhancements that would be easy to implement.  Lack of these features and some other induces enormous time waste among users, and financial issues are involved on corporate level.

Please look up these too:

http://earthwithsun.com/questions/592970/can-i-make-ctrlalt-not-act-like-altgr-on-windows

http://earthwithsun.com/questions/217082/why-dont-the-google-docs-ctrl-alt-shortcuts-work

I do NOT use Google Docs, but a Microsoft Word version.

Regards,

Marcel Schneider

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Till now, Windows 10 is just in test, you can download and install to use Windows 10 and post the feedback for feature changes or requests in Windows Feedback app (Search Feedback on Start menu, and open Windows Feedback)

• Windows 10 Tech preview download here
    • Windows 10 Tech preview for enterprise download here

Please join the Windows Insider Program, and Help us shape the future of Windows.

Help us shape the future of Windows

https://insider.windows.com/

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for advice.  Unfortunately I do not have two or three computers.  So I never will try Windows 10 technical preview.  Please note this:

• Remember, trying out an early build like this can be risky. That's why we recommend that you don't install the preview on your primary home or business PC. Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything.   [...]

• After you install Windows Technical Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Would you please ask Microsoft for a way to post enhancement suggestions simply?  I believe Microsoft should be eager to get all sort of feedback.  I have got over one thousand five hundred paragraphs of Microsoft desiderata, among which surely hundreds about Windows.  Why should I have to buy a new computer to send them to Microsoft?

Further, I note that almost all Microsoft Forum Support Engineers or Volunteers do not have any way to send suggestions to Microsoft.  There is no doubt they are best informed about users preferences and desiderata.  Thanks to Microsoft Forums, I have learned a lot, and I will be glad to keep posting.

But I ask Microsoft to keep listening to its users! 

Forum posts like this one, must be forwarded straight to
    Microsoft Windows Development Manager.

Kind regards,

Marcel Schneider

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:54 AM