Changing permissions for External Users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to setup so external users can upload and edit files in a document library, but not delete them.

I've been able to create a permissions level that allows this, however i cannot get it to apply to guests / external users.  

Can this be done? where does sharepoint go to get the permissions for external users to a site?  

Thanks,

Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:18 AM

All replies

• Hi RLDavies,

You can grant access of a SharePoint Online site to the external users as normal users via Site Permissions page.

However, external sharing has to be turned on for this site, even though the external users have been added to the organization directory and marked as Guest Users. When you grant permission to the guest users, it will still prompt “xx is outside of your organization”.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 10, 2020 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any progress on this thread?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

If you find any reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer. 

This forum will be locked down, if you need further assistance with this issue/question, you can continue to post in here before 8/10/2020. It is recommended to create a new question on Microsoft Q&A, we will continue to support you on the new home.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:34 AM