Problem with database size and the 4GB limitation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the express edition, and it has the 4GB limitation, but I am a little bit confused because I have a 3,6 GB database backup and I want to restore it in the database, but when I try to restore it,  the terminal shows me an error that saids "the database is bigger than the 4096MB" limit.

The question is, Why does this happens if the database is smaller than the limit?

Thank you in advance,

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:05 PM

Answers

• The limitation of 4 GB is per database, not per instance or sum of all databases.

Where did you get the backup; may it's from an Enterprise Edition and the backup compression was used?

The SQL Server 2008 R2 has a limit of 10 GB, you could try to restore it there. But be aware, you can't use the database in a former version, so this would be only a test to see the real database size.

Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, November 26, 2010 5:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Edgar,

Do you have any other database attached,

"The sum of all DBs must be less than 4GB!"

Vishal Gajjar MCITP.DBA \ MCITP.DatabaseDeveloper
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:15 PM
  • The limitation of 4 GB is per database, not per instance or sum of all databases.

Where did you get the backup; may it's from an Enterprise Edition and the backup compression was used?

The SQL Server 2008 R2 has a limit of 10 GB, you could try to restore it there. But be aware, you can't use the database in a former version, so this would be only a test to see the real database size.

Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, November 26, 2010 5:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:36 PM
  • I like that option, I'll try with the SQL server 2008 R2 and then I'll ask or thank you again.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:24 PM