none
How can I stop Internet Explorer 10 from crashing, restarting or reloading all the time. RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked through the forums and many other places for an answer to this question. I see the same question posed over and over again. I know that the RESET INTERNET EXPLORER does not work. Removing all of the settings I have, which never cause the other versions to crash, is not really an option. 

Is this something that there is no fix for?  I ask that question because it seems that the if I use other browsers on the same web pages at the same time on a different screen they do not crash but IE does. 

The biggest issue is attempting to explain to client why I cannot fix this for them. Any suggestions will help or if Microsoft can say that there are issues that are being addressed I could except that too.

Through me a bone here people. Thanks

Richard Tamboli

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

• Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Unfortunately that is what we typically see which is why we need a Stack Back Trace.   E.g. crashes in low-level system modules are typically signs of bad calls or other kinds of corruption and interference caused earlier in the call stack.

On a wild off-chance that you have a CA security product installed and as an example of the diagnostic process you will need to follow here is an earlier thread which started off very similarly to this one...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/fd832f53-e66c-42de-9934-38dd3ead844a

BTW I have been wondering where I got the idea that adplus.exe would be useful, now I know.  However, since trying it I think I would instead just go with windbg.exe.  YMMV.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:31 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Removing all of the settings I have, which never cause the other versions to crash, is not really an option. 

Why?  That is part of a diagnostic process to enable you to find the cause.  After that you can decide if you want to try using whatever it is that was found to be incompatible.   Often, you will be lucky and find that uninstall identifies the problem but that reinstall still allows something to work, e.g. you would then just reset its hooks and still avoid the problem symptoms.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Let me rephrase. I have set IE to default and removed all add-ons one at a time. I have not uninstalled and re-installed. Currently the only add-ons I have enabled are activeX and silverlight. So it is not that it is not an option really it is more like done that been there, lol. Like I mentioned the biggest issue is I have several clients this happens to and they look to me for an answer or a fix and I can offer neither. 

Tell me it is a bug Microsoft is aware of with a fix in the works and I will be smiling. 

Richard Tamboli

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:26 PM
  • I have not uninstalled and re-installed.

If "removing" add-ons just means disabling them, actually uninstalling them would be different.   Otherwise, another next step in diagnosis would be doing clean-boot troubleshooting, e.g. not limiting your changes to just IE add-ons, since other programs, especially security related ones, are known to interfere in undesirable ways.

I just realized that I haven't asked about your "crash" symptom.   That would be another troubleshooting tack to try.  E.g. there could be clues in the Stack Back Trace of the crashing thread which would identify a plausible culprit and thus short-circuit the testing you would otherwise need to do to try to zero in on one.   Unfortunately, Windows no longer comes with a tool such as drwtsn32.log enabled by default, so if the crash location is not a sufficient clue you need to do some dump formatting to get the same diagnostics from a crash dump.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Robert

Thanks I appreciate your in put. I do have some log data that I will paste in I am not able to see anything specific that is helpful. Perhaps you can.

Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 10.0.9200.16537, time stamp: 0x512347f7

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010ae7a

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00061252

Faulting process id: 0xe14

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce3785ef323ff0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 3382256e-a389-11e2-beae-180373d12c6d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Richard Tamboli

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Unfortunately that is what we typically see which is why we need a Stack Back Trace.   E.g. crashes in low-level system modules are typically signs of bad calls or other kinds of corruption and interference caused earlier in the call stack.

On a wild off-chance that you have a CA security product installed and as an example of the diagnostic process you will need to follow here is an earlier thread which started off very similarly to this one...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/fd832f53-e66c-42de-9934-38dd3ead844a

BTW I have been wondering where I got the idea that adplus.exe would be useful, now I know.  However, since trying it I think I would instead just go with windbg.exe.  YMMV.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:31 PM
    Answerer