none
SQL Server 2016 - Mirroring issue after patching RRS feed

• Question

• We have configured mirroring on SQL Server 2016 and it was working fine. we have installed SP1 on mirror server and mirroring went into disconnected state. no option is showing as enable for resume the mirroring.

Database Mirroring login attempt by user failed with error: 'Connection handshake failed. The handshake verification failed. State 36.'.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Team,

Mirroring is working fine now. Steps I followed are:

1. Patch the mirror server first. all mirroring went into disconnected mode on principle server.

2. Patch the principle server second. all mirroring went into synchronized state and working fine.

Above is not the solution because it require downtime. I'll call it as workaround only.

Thank you!

Prince Rastogi

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by princerastogi Saturday, April 15, 2017 8:16 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 8:02 AM

All replies

• We have configured mirroring on SQL Server 2016 and it was working fine. we have installed SP1 on mirror server and mirroring went into disconnected state. no option is showing as enable for resume the mirroring.

Database Mirroring login attempt by user failed with error: 'Connection handshake failed. The handshake verification failed. State 36.'.

Can you give more error details I am aware about bug in Database mirroring in SQL Server 2016 which is known to MS and they are working on fixing it. The bug is even after applying SP1.

Also CU3 which has fix related to Mirroring is included on Sp1( I hope I am correct) just cross check

Mirroring is not a supported feature so dont expect a quick fix from MS but I am aware they are working towards it

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:36 PM
  • We have applied CU3 earlier and it is having the same issue.

What kind\type of more details you want on this?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:42 PM
  • Is every SQL Server database engine service in running state on Primary and Mirror Servers?

Have you changed the password of SQL Server database engine service account recently and not updated the account details from SQL Server Configuration Manager?

Can you ping each server from another?

Can you TELNET each server from another?

Are your Endpoints in "STARTED" state? (SELECT * FROM sys.endpoints WHERE type_desc = 'DATABASE_MIRRORING')

Do you see any other messages in the error log files in each SQL Server instance that participates to the topology?

Please check these out and share the details with us. Also please ensure that the sensetive details to be shared are obfuscated.

http://ekremonsoy.blogspot.com | http://www.ekremonsoy.com | @EkremOnsoy

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:46 PM
  • We have applied CU3 earlier and it is having the same issue.

What kind\type of more details you want on this?
    AFAIK SP1 includes CU3 so if ur on Sp1 then CU3 is also their. By complete error details I mean, from errorlog and when you try to resume mirroring.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Hi Ekrem,

Is every SQL Server database engine service in running state on Primary and Mirror Servers?

Answer: yes

Have you changed the password of SQL Server database engine service account recently and not updated the account details from SQL Server Configuration Manager?

Answer: No

Can you ping each server from another?

Can you TELNET each server from another?

Are your Endpoints in "STARTED" state? (SELECT * FROM sys.endpoints WHERE type_desc = 'DATABASE_MIRRORING')

Do you see any other messages in the error log files in each SQL Server instance that participates to the topology?

Answer: No

Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Hi Team,

Mirroring is working fine now. Steps I followed are:

1. Patch the mirror server first. all mirroring went into disconnected mode on principle server.

2. Patch the principle server second. all mirroring went into synchronized state and working fine.

Above is not the solution because it require downtime. I'll call it as workaround only.

Thank you!

Prince Rastogi

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by princerastogi Saturday, April 15, 2017 8:16 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi princerastogi,

'Patch the mirror server first. all mirroring went into disconnected mode on principle server.'

How did you patch the server? As mentioned by Shanky, this is an error needed to be fixed. The method you given looks like a best solution in this scenario, could you please mark your own reply as answered? This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:09 AM
  • I do not know what was your expectation, but applying service packs and cumulative updates requires planned downtime inevitably. It doesn't matter it's database mirroring or failover clustering or availability groups. You have to failover to the other partner / node / replica in either scenario / set-up and this means a downtime.

http://ekremonsoy.blogspot.com | http://www.ekremonsoy.com | @EkremOnsoy

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:20 AM