none
Mirrored HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 servers for Hyper-V config on Windows 2016 Server Data Center on Meraki MS320-48 swithes

Question

• Looking to migrate an existing VmWare environment to MS Hyper-V using an existing EMC VNXe3150 SAN storage array that the current VMware environment is connects to, so assuming I can use this for the new Hyper-V environment. Purchased two HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 servers with 4 nics each to back each other up in some form of active/passive mode and want to configure Hyper-V 2016 host on these two windows server 2016 Data center OS that will connect to our two Meraki MS320-48 core switches. Assuming I would need to team 4 nics on each server and configure 4 ports on each switch to see the one virtual ip of the teamed nics on each server, that would be able to monitor the heartbeat of active server over the 2 switches and can fail over to passive server for DR and then back, once initial active server is back online, but I am completely new to Hyper-V and steps to create a redundant fail over environment. Hoping there was some KB or technical white paper that may walk through step by step.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can configure Active-Active Failover cluster on your servers. In this case you will have to configure your NICs according to best practices: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2014/02/19/configuring-windows-failover-cluster-networks/
    You should dedicate networks to different purposes (Live Migration, iSCSI traffic, Heartbeat communication and Intra-Cluster communication). For iSCSI traffic (if you are using iSCSI) you should isolated and dedicated network (I would recommend having dedicated NIC). 

You will need shared storage. You can use S2D for a shared storage between your hosts. Check this guide: https://www.tech-coffee.net/2-node-hyperconverged-cluster-with-windows-server-2016/

Or you can us StarWind Virtual SAN free. Check this guide: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-hyper-converged-2-nodes-scenario-2-nodes-with-hyper-v-cluster

Cheers,

Alex Bykovskyi

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:14 PM
  • Alex, thanks for your response. Not sure if we are using iSCSI, how would I confirm this? Also have an EMC VNXe3150 SAN storage array that the current VMware environment is connects to, so assuming I can use this for the new Hyper-V environment.
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Oh sorry, missed that part. 

You can connect to VNXe 3150 via iSCSI or use it as a NAS. You can check if it is utilize iSCSI in iSCSI initiator of VMware host. 

Cheers,

Alex Bykovskyi

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:41 PM