Windows Task Manager Pops Up Involuntarily RRS feed

• Question

• My windows task manager keeps poping up involuntarily in Windows 7.  I pops up on its on about every 30 seconds or so without be called on.  If installing new software it pops up and stays up even when I repeatly minimize or try to close it.  I have selected the option of run behind windows and that doesn't help either.  I have to move it around on the screen to get to the windows below.  If I type on a window behind the task manager, it goes away for a moment then jumps back up to the front.  How do I stop this madness? 
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:39 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Friday, March 9, 2012 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check event logs to find the task, and delete that task from Task Manager.

You may boot the system to clean boot environment and then try again: 

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, March 16, 2012 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:17 AM

All replies

• 1. Make sure that Task Manager is not in any startuo group.

2. Use Process Monitor to catch the process that starts Task Manager.

3. What did you before it started to happen, any installation, configuration,etc. Are there any activity traces in event logs?

Regards

Milos

Friday, March 9, 2012 1:29 PM
  • 1. Task manager is not in any startup group.

2. Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the process monitor is running (I'm assuming you are speaking of the one in Window Task manager) then it is already open and it is difficult to see if any programs are calling for it.

3. No new installs other than Adobe Flash update, Java, etc.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:15 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with a client.  End the task manager process and it immediately starts back up.  Must be related to a recent update or a new virus because I cannot get it to stop or shutdown.

Please advise

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Please check event logs to find the task, and delete that task from Task Manager.

You may boot the system to clean boot environment and then try again: 

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, March 16, 2012 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Yea I have the same problem. I just installed a new game and task manager won’t stop popping up, it’s gotten to the point we’re I can’t play games anymore. I thought about resetting the bios but that’s too much work. I’ve already tried to end task but it just won’t stop. If any one has a solution please tell me.
    Friday, July 26, 2019 12:18 AM