none
compare veritas sharepoint Agent with DPM for sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We already have Veritas Netbackup in our environment . We are planning to protect Sharepoint farms using DPM2010 . Before going to use DPM2010 , we need to compare Vertitas7.1 with DPM2010 ..

Have any evaluated these two products . Can some one suggest the Advantage and Dis-Advantage.

Thanks...

Raja
    Monday, May 23, 2011 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Raja,

I haven't worked with NetBackup before but I have worked with Backup Exec I'll comment from that perspective.

I found Backup Exec's SharePoint Agent to be far simpler that DPM. You just install the BE Agent on the client server and in the selection list you select the SharePoint component and that was it. DPM is a bit more cumbersome, you install the DPM agent and then you have to run a couple commands to enable the SharePoint VSS writer only then can you select the SharePoint component for backup.

While working with BE I never had to do a restore of SharePoint but I have my fair share of SharePoint restore with DPM. We have a dedicated SharePoint resource at our company and the two of us tested SharePoint restores on SharePoint 2007 and 2010. We found that SharePoint 2007 restores are far too complicated as you need a recovery farm to be able to restore content from DPM, not everyone has the resources to have a separate environment setup so that you can have a recovery farm. With SharePoint 2010 it was a bit simpler as you can restore directly back to the original SharePoint server but still not to our liking. The SharePoint guy here says its far simpler for him to get the backend SQL DB restore that he requires as SharePoint 2010 allows him to extract the required data faster that DPM restores.

We are at a point where we will stop backing up SharePoint with the DPM and rather just backup the backend SQL DBs with another backup app’s SQL agent.

Monday, May 23, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi Koos .

Thanks for your information . How can we restore Sharepoint ConfigDB if any issues .

Thanks ..

Raja
    Monday, May 23, 2011 11:35 AM