event veiwer info RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed this error in the past 5 days. The device H seems change instances from H,I,H etc. I am not plugging any devices into the usb ports. Should I be concerned?

The device H:\ (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash.  Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times.  Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:28 PM

All replies

• 1. Good chance you have a failing flash drive (or other USB drive/device).

2. the device pulls too much power (be sure it is in a powered port or use a Powered USB Hub).

3. the USB platform is weakening (do other USB device work ok?) or it is over-loaded.

4.  Be sure all drivers are up-to-date.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT - Windows Insider MVP : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Monday, January 23, 2017 11:59 PM
  • Hi ,

Most support forums indicate that the first step is troubleshooting this event is to update the drivers for the device specified in the event. If the problem persists, one can try install the latest Windows updates, verify if there are any issues with the disks (chkdsk), check for viruses, etc.

In one instance, the user had to downgrade a software driver (remove the latest version and install an older one) in order to get rid of this problem. 

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:24 AM