none
FIM Reporting - how to fix this break in Reporting Data? RRS feed

• Question

• The customer has let us know that they seem to have a gap in their FIM User Report. They see data up to 9.12.2015 and from 5.1.2016 to date. No updates (which there were several) are visible in the Report.

On investigation 2 critical events were discovered.

On 9th December 2015, the SQL support team "upgraded/patched" AND REBOOTED the MSSQL server.

On 5th January 2016, the SQL support team "upgraded/patched" AND REBOOTED the DataWarehouse server.

In FIM the Incremental reporting job completed successfully all through December 2015 but Failed on 5th Jan. 2016 as the DW services were not running. For some reason these 3 services are (were) Manual:

System Center Data Access Service, System Center Management Configuration and System Center Management

I guess the rebooting of the SQL Server on 9.12.2015 smashed all the DataWarehouse jobs leaving them in an unknown state until yesterday when I managed to..

Start the 3 DW services, Restarted the MPSync and DWMaintenance jobs and waited 24 hours for them to complete, Run the ETL-Load ps script and now I see data in the reports from 5.1.2016 onwards :-)

BUT!  I have no clue where the data changes sent by FIM 3 times a day from 9.12.2015 to 5.1.2016 are. It seems to be "in transit". FIM has sent it somewhere but the DataWarehouse jobs that I recently restarted seem unable to move it into the DataMart DB for reports to access it.

Is there a way I can examine where these changes are? There seems a blockage somewhere. BUT WHERE? Can FIM possibly resend the data increments from 9.12.2015 to 5.1.2016?

FIM Reporting relies on a whole load of processes on a whole load of servers, so many possible points of failure it is almost beyond belief that anything gets reported.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 12:56 PM

All replies

• Harold,

One problem is that FIM is setup to flush old requests to keep the database from getting to big. This is typically set to 30 days. So anything that isn't sitting in the Staging database or repository may have been lost. If you can't get the incremental process working you may need to start over with Start-FIMReportingInitialSync.

I would start with a review of the architecture and then a review of the ETL process and then look at troubleshooting. Finally check out Disaster recovery

David Lundell, Get your copy of FIM Best Practices Volume 1 http://blog.ilmbestpractices.com/2010/08/book-is-here-fim-best-practices-volume.html

Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:16 PM