Local Users and local path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to create a local user and above all i need set the local path in VISTA home.

Previously in win XP i had the option LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS tab in Computer Management.
    But this is not present in VISTA.

Kindly advise me how to set the local path for a user in VISTA.

Thanks & Regards,
    Naveen
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:16 AM

All replies

• The Local Users and Groups tool on Computer Management is not available on Windows Vista Home versions, you need Business, Enterprise or Ultimate.

You can still create local users using the User Accounts control panel. In the Vista Control Panel (not classic view), this is available under "User Accounts and Family Safety". If you need to create and manage groups, you'll need to use the "net groups" command from the command prompt.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "local path for a user", unless you are talking about a "Home Folder". Home folder paths are legacy functions from the Windows NT days when we did not have the "Documents and Settings" folder to store local profiles. It only really mattered when you were upgrading Windows NT users to Windows 2000. A home folder could also be created that was really just a mapped drive to a server-based share so users could store data on a server.

A native 2000, XP & Vista user automatically gets a local profile on the machine they log onto. On 2000 & XP it's in the Documents and Settings folder. On Vista its in the Users folder.

Hope this helps,

Bob
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:28 PM