none
Project entity custom field default values not working for required fields RRS feed

• Question

• In a Project Server 2013 I created several custom fields that use lookup tables. These fields are required and have been assigned a default value. When I create a new project through the web app, on the PDP "ProjectDetails" the default values are displayed only for the fields that are not required and the fields that are required are blank requiring an entry. Any ideas?

Jay W. Ahearn, PMP, MCP

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:29 PM

All replies

• Jay,

I tested this and can confirm the behavior your exlplain. Unfortunately, I do not know of a solution to this.

At the same time, I would like challenge the logic here. The purpose of making a field 'required' is so that the user will always be promoted to fill a value. If you have a value pre-populated in a required field, then that Flag serves no purpose. So may be this is by design.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Funny you should ask as I thought that may have been the logic behind the condition. Here is what we are doing. We have an enterprise custom "project status" and "project phase" fields that have default values and are required. When a project is first created the status is "In Progress" and the phase is "Concept". We always want to have a status and phase (no blanks) but don't want the user to have to select one when they initially create the project. It does the same thing in the 2010 version. While I get where you are going, why even enter a default if it will not be used. What I just discovered though is in Project Professional, you get the default value! Intentional??? Bug???

Jay W. Ahearn, PMP, MCP

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:15 PM