Pentium III 512mb RAM RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Compaq desk pro (museum piece), Pentium III, new 512MB Ram, new 180GB hard drive that was given to me by my employer years ago. I recall when the machine was new she was relatively fast. My main PC crashed, both hard drive and back-up drive died within 3days of each other (thanks Seagate) What is the most efficient way to get some speed back?. Yes, I have already heard "use it as a boat anchor" and buy a new system. I just don't have the wallet fat, but my ex-wife I keep her "In Style!"

Thanks  

Friday, February 7, 2014 3:37 AM

Answers

• Thank you,

I will try as you suggested and let you know if I am successful. Where would you suggest a couple of 1GB sticks?

Thanks again!

"I have the inclination, the maturity, and the wherewithal...but unfortunately, I don't have the time."

Crucial is a reputable company that I have used for many, many years, here is the US site http://www.crucial.com/  and the UK site is here http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx?aid=5032923&pid=898174

Download the advisor tool, where you will be offered a selection of different sized memory.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Friday, February 7, 2014 1:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Buckstar21 Friday, February 7, 2014 4:58 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 1:12 PM

All replies

• Here are a few things that may help to speed up your XP computer. Not all of them will necessarily apply to you but look through the list and run those that seem appropriate:

1. Make sure you are free from malware as that can slow it down. If necessary, run your ‘anti’ programs.

2. Although XP supposedly runs on 512MB of memory (RAM), adding more if you have less than about 1GB will help it run better. It will behave even better with 2GB. To check how much memory you have, right-click My Computer, click Properties and the General Tab shows how much is installed.

3. Run Disk Cleanup via Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk CleanUp. Now, defragment the hard drive (not on an SSD) via Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. Click on the drive and choose Defragment.

4. Check the disk for errors. Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Allow it to run next time you restart the computer or restart it now.

5. Don’t turn off your antivirus program, but check if it’s running a scheduled scan when you switch on the computer. If it is, reschedule it for a more appropriate time.

6. You’ll get a slightly faster start up if you optimise the boot files and applications by running a special defragmentation (not on an SSD), i.e. in a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type cmd and press Enter to open a command prompt then type defrag C:\ -b (note the two spaces) and press Enter.

7. When you have a slow boot, check that no external drives have media in them. If they have, experiment by booting with it inserted and without.

8. Remove unwanted programs that run when you switch on the computer. Bear in mind that it’s not necessarily how many programs run at start up, but which of them affect the computer’s performance. If possible, look at the program’s options/preferences to see if it can be stopped from running at start up.

If there is no option, run Microsoft’s Autoruns from the right pane here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902 It doesn’t need downloading nor installing. Run it and go to the Logon Tab and remove the tick alongside the programs you don’t want to start. Right-click an entry and choose Search online for more information about it. It is completely reversible if you unintentionally stop a program from starting up.

Also, the built-in system configuration utility (msconfig) can be used, but its primary function is to troubleshoot start up errors. Note that some programs use a service to start them running.

9. You can use Process Explorer to see which services/programs are using which files. To determine which process is using a particular file, click Find at the top, type the name of the file and click Search. To see the svchost processes, let the mouse pointer hover over each svchost.exe in the left pane. Download it from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Luigi BrunoMVP Friday, February 7, 2014 11:22 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Thank you,

I will try as you suggested and let you know if I am successful. Where would you suggest a couple of 1GB sticks?

Thanks again!

"I have the inclination, the maturity, and the wherewithal...but unfortunately, I don't have the time."

Friday, February 7, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Thank you,

Thanks again!

Crucial is a reputable company that I have used for many, many years, here is the US site http://www.crucial.com/  and the UK site is here http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx?aid=5032923&pid=898174

Download the advisor tool, where you will be offered a selection of different sized memory.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Friday, February 7, 2014 1:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Buckstar21 Friday, February 7, 2014 4:58 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Well I did a reinstall on a new hard drive and my machine is still creeping along.

I think I will install windows7 on it just for fun!

Thanks guys for letting me enjoy your wisdom!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Well I did a reinstall on a new hard drive and my machine is still creeping along.

I think I will install windows7 on it just for fun!

Thanks guys for letting me enjoy your wisdom!

I told you to install more memory (RAM), not more storage (Hard Disk)!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:09 PM
  • Yes I realize this, the problem is that I don't have any more RAM available to me at this time and I had a new hard disk. I have decided that my money would be best spent on a new system rather than on the old. I really, really appreciate all of your advice and pray that you will stick by me when as I move forward. I will, I am sure, when I am more flush get some more RAM for the old girl. After all, she is one hell of an MP3 player. ;-)

Make it a great day!!!!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:48 PM
  • "I hate it when my kids don't listen to me"

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:49 PM