none
Converting Enterprise Resource to Local Resource RRS feed

• Question

• For multiple reasons I am interested in having the ability to disconnect resources from enterprise resources to make them local.  How does one do this?  When I remove the enterprise resources from the plan it simply removes the resource from every task.  This is not what I want.  I want to maintain the project data and associate it to a local resource.  I appreciate any support with this question.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:55 PM

All replies

• Zane,

Unless the enterprise resource is deleted, once identified enterprise resource, it will stay as an enterprise resource. 

What I generally do in these scenarios is, to create another resource directly in the plan (local), name it the same with a suffix of "Local" (Ex: John Smith_Local), and then replace the enterprise resource with this local resource.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Zane,

Unless the enterprise resource is deleted, once identified enterprise resource, it will stay as an enterprise resource. 

What I generally do in these scenarios is, to create another resource directly in the plan (local), name it the same with a suffix of "Local" (Ex: John Smith_Local), and then replace the enterprise resource with this local resource.

Thank you Prasanna!  This is what I was afraid of.  This means I have to go line by line in the plan right?  I tried to do a replace (Ctrl+h) and found that it would not replace the resource names.  Is there any quick way to do the replace?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:28 PM
  • I can see two different approaches:

Option 1:

• Create your Local Resource (in the Resource Sheet View).
    • Open the Resource Usage View
    • Expand the assignments for the enterprise resource.
    • Using the SHIFT key select all assignments, and now hover your mouse on those assignments uintil you see the + sign.
    • Now drag and drop the assignments under the Local Resource.

This approach transfers all assignemnts in bulk. The caveat is that is there is any partial actual work, it will only transfer the "remaining" work to the Local Resource.

Option 2:

• Navigate to the Server Settings page and select Manage Users
    • Open the enterprise resource that you are working with
    • Uncheck the box that says "User can be assigned as a resource"

This will act similar to deleting the resource, and when you open the plan next time, the resource is converted to a local resource. The caveat is that this is a Global change and not just for one project.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Thx Prasanna Adavi,  I will try to use the resource sheet view to do the copy.  

I wish it would allow you to do it from the gant view.  Replace all Resource1 with Resource2.  I assume it has to do with the resource usage data that wouldn't be moved.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:40 PM