External hard drive not showing up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I apologise if I am in the wrong place - I have no idea what I am doing! When it comes to technology I am lost.

I bought a Seagate 2TB Hard drive last week. It has been working fine up until today. I have had trouble with disk space on my laptop & I am worried that in trying to free up extra space on the laptop, I have ruined my hard drive. 

I can see that the hard drive shows up as "expansion" in my devices. If I go to Disk Management I can see it under disk drives. When I go to try and change the disk name, I can see my c: & then x2 others that do not have names. When I try to click on these I don't have the option to change the name. I cannot see my external hard drive here. 

I have tried uninstalling from the drive & re-starting and I have tried uninstalling the USB Mass Storage Device. Neither of these has worked.

Somehow, I have managed to get more space on my laptop (don't ask me how) but this is why I am worried that it may have been at the expense of my hard drive. 

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help with this. Any help would be very appreciated!

Kind regards,

Scatlin

Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:15 AM

Answers

• Some places to look for it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 9, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Hi Scatlin,

Hope you can access your new Hard drive through the Laptop. Once plugged that Portable disk, if you can’t see that under file Explorer means you have one of the below problems.

1. The disk is defective/ USB cable or the driver in the laptop is corrupted. – In that case you can plug this portable disk into an another Laptop or a Computer and get verified.
    2. The disk is not automatically assigned and driver letter – In that case you can go into Device Manager > Disk Manager and right click on the portable Disk and select “Change Drive Latter and Paths”.

Once you done that, you will be able to see your Portable Disk under File Explorer. Then you can see the Disk under File Explorer and you can move your old Data or the file which you can take out from the Laptop in to your Portable Disk.

Hope one of these steps will help you to free up your Laptop Disk Drive.

Hemal

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Monday, July 11, 2016 8:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:27 AM
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 3:18 PM

All replies

• Some places to look for it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 9, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Hi Scatlin,

Hope you can access your new Hard drive through the Laptop. Once plugged that Portable disk, if you can’t see that under file Explorer means you have one of the below problems.

1. The disk is defective/ USB cable or the driver in the laptop is corrupted. – In that case you can plug this portable disk into an another Laptop or a Computer and get verified.
    2. The disk is not automatically assigned and driver letter – In that case you can go into Device Manager > Disk Manager and right click on the portable Disk and select “Change Drive Latter and Paths”.

Once you done that, you will be able to see your Portable Disk under File Explorer. Then you can see the Disk under File Explorer and you can move your old Data or the file which you can take out from the Laptop in to your Portable Disk.

Hope one of these steps will help you to free up your Laptop Disk Drive.

Hemal

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Monday, July 11, 2016 8:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:27 AM
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 3:18 PM
  • Hi Scatlin,

And If a drive isn’t recognized by any computer you connect it to and never shows up in the Disk Management window, the drive is probably dead.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:04 AM