Exchange cross forest migration RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

One of the customer has multiple forest and he using different mailing solution at Exchange 2007,Domino 9,Exchange 2013.

Now his requirement is to create new forest and install Exchange server  in the same forest  and do cross domain  migration.

Please suggest me article best practices and any deployment guide which help me to understand and help me for executing the project and do successfull migartion of mailboes.  Also we are planing to use quest tools for moving mailboxes . Please let me know is there any limitation using the tools and what else need to take care will executing and migration.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:08 PM

Answers

• That will be very complicated so I recommend you hire an experienced consultant.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Edward van BiljonMVP Friday, August 26, 2016 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, September 5, 2016 2:46 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:18 PM

All replies

• That will be very complicated so I recommend you hire an experienced consultant.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Edward van BiljonMVP Friday, August 26, 2016 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, September 5, 2016 2:46 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:18 PM
  • I agree with above suggestion. You can hire an experienced consultant, they lets you in detailed and works with you to achieve your goal.

Moreover, Please have a look at this step wise cross forest migration guide will help you to migrate across forest. You may also get help from this cross forest migration solution to migrate mailboxes across forest easily and efficiently.

Cross-domain migration could be referred to the following link. Here is another informative article for Exchange 2013 Cross Forest/ORG Migration from Exchange 2010/2007.

Use Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 to add relevant Exchange attributes in target forest, and ADMT is used to migrate user accounts. Also need configure cross-forest availability between two exchange forests in Exchange 2013 temporary before complete migration. Please refer to this link.

Hope this helps!

Friday, August 26, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Hi,

We recommend listening to Ed's suggestion.

And this blog should be helpful for you to understand the cross-forest migration, despite it's for migrating from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/meamcs/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i/

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 26, 2016 8:56 AM