Windows 7 Search won't find file contents RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Search does not seem to find file contents consistently.  Based on other posts I have read this seems to be a problem.  As a test I created a Word 2003 file with one word in the file (police) and saved it under the name test in the folder Documents.  I waited for a few minutes for the indexing to complete and then searched for Police.  The file Test did not show up in the file list.  I repeated the same steps but used Excel, then Powerpoint to store the file.  Search found the ppt file but not the XLS file.  I tired other one word files and these didn't work either.  Seems hard to believe such a simple problem would have escaped Microsoft's software verification process so I assume there is something corrupt in my machine.

I don't know if this is due to a Registry error or some other systemic problem.  But it is quite bizarre.  Indexing is turned on, the folders that search indexes include Documents and everything else appears to be set right.  I rebuilt the index after saving the file and this took several hours.  92000+ entries in the index table.  If any one else has experience with this I humbly wait for a solution.  The version of Windows is Home Premium, not that it should matter.

Monday, December 7, 2009 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

Please let us know how do you rebuild the Index setting. To rebuild the Index setting, you can refer to the follow steps: 

Rebuild Index
    ================
    1. Click on the Start Button, type "Indexing Options" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
    2. Click the "Advanced" button.
    (Click "Continue" if User Account Control prompts for permission.)
    3. Click on the "File Types" tab. then check "Index properties and File Contents" and make sure boxes "doc", "docx" are checked.
    4. Move to the "Index Settings" tab, click the "Rebuild" button under Troubleshooting. 

Note: Indexing speed can be reduced due to this activity. The index will be unavailable and will not be rebuilt until indexing is restored.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, December 11, 2009 9:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:32 AM