error 0x00000002 adding printer w2k8 TS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am having trouble adding network printers on my 2008 x64 terminal server:s (9 servers) i get 0x00000002 error.

I have tried the following, Logged on as domain admin adding a network printer i get error 0x00000002, tried to install a local printer on the server gives me error 0x00000002.

Adding local printer with Microsoft shipped drivers i get error 0x00000002

Have tried above as local admin on server, same problem.

Print server: w2k8 x64 Datacenter (all printers have 64/32 bit drivers)

Terminal Servers: w2k8 x64 Standard

Regards

Roger

• Edited by Roger Jacobson Sunday, September 26, 2010 11:56 AM Adding text
    • Moved by Kaushal Mehta [MSFT] Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:36 PM Issue related to installation of printer (From:Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services))
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi!

I have tried the following.

Using Process monitor when adding a network printer on the 2008 TS server i found that there was a NAME COLLISION in

C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\x64

In C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\x64 i found hundreds of folders named 1-499 each folder contained hpcpp084.dll, i moved all the folders to an empty one and tried to add a printer, and it worked without any problems.

I checked in the C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\x64 when adding the printer and there was a folder named 1 but when the printer was added the folder was deleted.

I don´t know if this is a solution, but it works on this server, the server is in production again to see if the problem occurs.

I will test this on the rest of the servers as soon as posible.

I have fixed the rest of the servers and it looks ok so far.
    • Marked as answer by Roger Jacobson Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the error code 0x00000002 is received when adding a network or local printer on terminal servers.

As we know, the error code 0x00000002 indicates the system cannot find the file specified.

This issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1.    The spooler service is corrupt.

2.    The printer components are corrupt.

3.    The permissions are inappropriate.

Now I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.    Does this issue occur on all machines?

2.    Have you tried to install the printer with the elevated window? (Select Run as administrator)

To troubleshoot this issue, let’s try the following steps.

1. Unplug the problematic printers.

2. Open Printers.

3. On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Drivers tab.

4. Remove the relevant printer drivers.

After that, please try to re-plug the printers and install them again.

Does it work?

If this problem continues, let’s collect the relevant information.

1.   Open Printers.

2.   On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Advanced tab.

3.   Select or clear the Log spooler error events, Log spooler warning events, and Log spooler information events check box

4.   Stop and restart the spooler service

Now please take the time to collect the relevant information on print server for further research.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Server Components”, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive ) to upload the file and then send the download address to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Please inform me of the thread title in the email subject.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Roger Jacobson Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:47 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the error code 0x00000002 is received when adding a network or local printer on terminal servers.

As we know, the error code 0x00000002 indicates the system cannot find the file specified.

This issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1.    The spooler service is corrupt.

2.    The printer components are corrupt.

3.    The permissions are inappropriate.

Now I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.    Does this issue occur on all machines?

2.    Have you tried to install the printer with the elevated window? (Select Run as administrator)

To troubleshoot this issue, let’s try the following steps.

1. Unplug the problematic printers.

2. Open Printers.

3. On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Drivers tab.

4. Remove the relevant printer drivers.

After that, please try to re-plug the printers and install them again.

Does it work?

If this problem continues, let’s collect the relevant information.

1.   Open Printers.

2.   On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Advanced tab.

3.   Select or clear the Log spooler error events, Log spooler warning events, and Log spooler information events check box

4.   Stop and restart the spooler service

Now please take the time to collect the relevant information on print server for further research.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Server Components”, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive ) to upload the file and then send the download address to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Please inform me of the thread title in the email subject.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Roger Jacobson Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:47 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 7:53 AM
  • Hi!

Using Process monitor when adding a network printer on the 2008 TS server i found that there was a NAME COLLISION in

In C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\x64 i found hundreds of folders named 1-499 each folder contained hpcpp084.dll, i moved all the folders to an empty one and tried to add a printer, and it worked without any problems.

I checked in the C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\x64 when adding the printer and there was a folder named 1 but when the printer was added the folder was deleted.

I don´t know if this is a solution, but it works on this server, the server is in production again to see if the problem occurs.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Hi!

I have fixed the rest of the servers and it looks ok so far.
    • Marked as answer by Roger Jacobson Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Thanks Roger, been scouring the web for a fix for this issue, this has been the only post I've found that fixes this issues. Cheers.

I wouldn't mind finding out what causes this issues though. I have 2 near identical TS servers, one with a prtprocs folder filled with folders labeled 1 - 499, the other (working fine) with 1 - 8. Although mine where filled with a xerox file x5print.dll

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Thanks again Roger you saved the day.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Thanks, this fixed the problem on a Win2008R2 RDS server with Xerox 7125 driver. server TS01 worked fine, but TS02 wouldn't install with a variety of errors 0x00000002, 0x0000007e and "print processor does not exist" (I think 0x000003eb, but didn't make a note of that one.) The print processor .dll was x5print.dll, which was in all the folders you identified, and also needed a file xpp.dll that I wound up copying over from the working server.

Powershell:

pushd
    c:\windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\x64

net stop spooler

(1..499)|% { rd "$_" -force -recurse}

xcopy "\\ts01\admin\system32\spool\prtprocs\x64\*.dll" .

#('N' to replace)

net start spooler

• Proposed as answer by DMAC15 Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:25 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 11:06 PM
  • You sir... are my hero. I did the following...

Which got me from a 0x000002 error to a 0x0000007e

Then I added the xpp dll from c:\windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\x64 on the print server and everything started to work. Thanks for the help all

Friday, November 1, 2013 10:47 AM
  • thanks, solved!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:41 PM
  • and path on 32bit server: C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:40 AM
  • FWIW, I had this problem trying to add a homegroup printer to my computer (not that it matters a whole lot, as it seems this could happen any time you try to add a printer, local or networked). The cause ended up being that a deleted printer still had a document pending to print. 

I restarted the print spooler service in Services.msc and it allowed me to add the printer immediately after this. 

Monday, March 31, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Here, instead of 1-499 folders, we have 1-X files named "#_hpcpp170.dll" created at "C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\x64". Even if I delete them all, they come back from time to time. My fear is to reach the limit of 499 at business hours. 

Anyone with the same file (instead of folders...) problem?

• Edited by leo_qc Friday, October 3, 2014 8:03 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 8:01 PM