none
Project 2013 - Earned Value Analysis - BCWP not calculated RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear all,

    we started to use EVA's schedule performance index in our project plan. The project plan is already in use for some months and has tasks with "% Complete" values between 0 and 100.
    To use EVA we added a) standard rates for all resources, b) saved a new baseline, c) configured this baseline as well as "% Complete" in Project's options-tab for the EVA and d) set the status date of the project to the current date.

    Now the issue is that for some tasks that are cut by the status date and where "% Complete" > 0 the value of BCWP is 0. Hitting F9 doesn't show a result. The interesting thing is that, when we manually change "% Complete" then BCWP is correctly calculated. So e.g. when "% Complete" is changed from 75 to 80 and back to 75 then we receive the correct BCWP-value that should have been displayed in the first place.

    As we're constantly updating the project plan, "% Complete" is going to change and hence BCWP will be corrected step by step.

    However, i would like to know if i'm missing some configuration step or if this is the way project works?

    Thank you for your insights and kind regards
    Philipp


    • Edited by PhilippH Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:47 PM typo
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:46 PM

Answers

  • Hi Philipp,

    It seems that you did all correct: baseline, resource rates, status date, % complete.

    It might be that your project is corrupted since it works fine for me and for you also on a new project. Try to repair your project saving it in XML and importing it back as an MPP file. Keep a backup since you might lose some information doing this, such as formatting.

    Also try to update your Project Pro to the latest update.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

    • Marked as answer by PhilippH Monday, March 7, 2016 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:59 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi Philipp,

    I can't reproduce the issue on my 2013 Project Pro version (15.0.4753.1001).

    Can you reproduce the issue on a blank new file?

    In the option menu, schedule section, did you set the "calculate after each edit" parameter to ON?


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:45 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Guillaume,

    if i create a new plan from scratch (dummy data: 25 tasks, 10 resources, different % complete), the issue is not reproduced. However i'm not sure if i manage to reproduce the same conditions that cause the issue in the original plan.

    My clients version is 15.0.4745.1000, auto-calc is on.

    Do you see any additional setting that has an impact on the above described issue? Or might our plan be corrupted in some way?

    Kind regards

    Philipp

    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:33 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

    It seems that you did all correct: baseline, resource rates, status date, % complete.

    It might be that your project is corrupted since it works fine for me and for you also on a new project. Try to repair your project saving it in XML and importing it back as an MPP file. Keep a backup since you might lose some information doing this, such as formatting.

    Also try to update your Project Pro to the latest update.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

    • Marked as answer by PhilippH Monday, March 7, 2016 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:59 AM
    Moderator